The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By jaybo41
  • 2 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By stenacron
  • 1 Post By silvertip8k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 04:55 PM

rampaige is on a distinguished road
Default Entomology App?

Anyone know of a good fly ID app? I'm just starting out so it would really help if I could identify what I'm seeing on the water and had a little help with selecting a fly from my box to use.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:43 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Re: Entomology App?

Dont know of one but can tell you a pheasant tail nymph and hares ear nymph will cover most mayfly nymphs. Dry flies will be different though. You need to learn from locals, flyshops, fishing reports on what bugs are hatching local to you and go from there. The internet and google are your friend. I'm sure if you give us more info on where you fish someone can help you here
Old 05-09-2013, 07:24 PM

I fish in CT. I had good luck with PTN's last week. But that was really just a shot in the dark and I got lucky.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:15 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know of any hatch specific apps, but admittedly I haven't looked for one. Looking over the hatch charts and finding a good book that outlines the hatches in the region I'm fishing has always worked for me. That would be my suggestion to you.

If you're still on the hunt for some apps, it would be helpful to know which platform you're using. I know Orvis has an App, but I don't believe it's hatch specific. People have said it's a good beginner's app though. Most of the fly fishing related apps I have seen are not. As an alternative, why not bookmark a webpage that has hatch information and use that.

Call me old school, I like the books.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

If you are looking at Mayflies Art Flick's Stream Side Guide is pretty hard to beat. It's a book but it has been helping fly fishermen to know their bugs for decades You never know when your battery may go dead........

Welcome to the forum,

Ard
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-09-2013, 10:30 PM

I have nothing against books at all. I plan on diving into some. Just thought maybe i could pop in the description of a bug I see and a picture would pop up. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:20 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

You're probably not into fly tying yet. In the book Dynamic nymphing the author use a nymph he calls a frenchie, it is a pheasant tail nymph with a fluorescent orange hot spot. I tied a couple and used one yesterday, It caught a couple of fish. Hot spots, or a bright area on a fly, definitely attracts fish, plus the pheasant tail nymph looks like something they eat anyway.

---------- Post added at 06:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 AM ----------

Check out troutnut.com
Old 05-10-2013, 01:28 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampaige View Post

Just thought maybe i could pop in the description of a bug I see and a picture would pop up.
WHAT? BLASPHEMY!

I threw a rock at the last guy I caught playing with his smart phone while we were fly fishing!

That reminds me... I need to go and apologize to my boss.
Rip Tide likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-10-2013, 07:43 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

app scmappe...I like to connect with others...We dont need no stinking apps...
to borrow the line a bit from Humphrey Bogart....
stenacron likes this.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/

Last edited by silvertip8k; 05-14-2013 at 04:32 PM.