The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 10:04 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: So, what do we have here?

Great picture of that dun!
Old 05-24-2013, 01:03 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post

It would be very early for sulfurs in northeast Maine.
From a report that I read just this morning, they're still fishing Hendricksons in the Moosehead/Kennebec region
Yeah, I agree completely. Truly the tough thing to consider in a photograph is color... back-lighting, dialing up intensity (editing), can change things dramatically.

We can safely agree that the fly pictured is definitely Ephemerella... after that, subvaria (Hendrickson) and invaria (Sulphur) are very close. The wild card here is E. rotunda, which "officially" no longer exists, despite being a full hook size bigger (than invaria) with yellow wing masts and olive highlights in the thorax. Anyway, E. rotunda and E. invaria are now classified as the same insect (E. invaria).

For what it's worth, they continued to be separate to me since they are so physically different. The rotunda's would kick off the "sulphur hatch" in SEPA right around last week in April (give/take a week or two) hatching just after lunch. Invaria's were 2 weeks after and E. dorothea another 2 weeks later (again, rough estimates and variable from year-to-year).

I guess for me the overall yellow appearance pushed me towards sulphurs.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-24-2013, 01:41 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
the tough thing to consider in a photograph is color... back-lighting, dialing up intensity (editing), can change things dramatically
The colors here are very close to the insects, I did edit, but mostly just cropping and sharpening. Like Ard and webrx said I'll just match the hatch whatever it is, thanks for the info guys.

Last edited by bear 007; 05-24-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:14 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Yeah, I agree completely. Truly the tough thing to consider in a photograph is color... back-lighting, dialing up intensity (editing), can change things dramatically.

We can safely agree that the fly pictured is definitely Ephemerella... after that, subvaria (Hendrickson) and invaria (Sulphur) are very close. The wild card here is E. rotunda, which "officially" no longer exists, despite being a full hook size bigger (than invaria) with yellow wing masts and olive highlights in the thorax. Anyway, E. rotunda and E. invaria are now classified as the same insect (E. invaria).

For what it's worth, they continued to be separate to me since they are so physically different. The rotunda's would kick off the "sulphur hatch" in SEPA right around last week in April (give/take a week or two) hatching just after lunch. Invaria's were 2 weeks after and E. dorothea another 2 weeks later (again, rough estimates and variable from year-to-year).

I guess for me the overall yellow appearance pushed me towards sulphurs.
I'm pretty sure that it's a female Hendrickson, but Tim said that he thought the hatch should have been over 2 weeks ago and I wasn't about to argue with him.
it's a very cool picture though.
bear 007 likes this.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:02 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

yellowish green mayfly...thats not of the level of prowess of others here...but I would fish any yellow/olive adult I had tied in my can...I would call it a sulphur...but one of our more astute colleagues said that might not be it due to timimg...but you know maybe it was point man on a scouting mission???

outstanding pics...all around very well shared experience...the bugs are the hardest thing for me to get...hats off...the one handed camera pics are not easy either...I actually lost an old canon that way a few years back...taught me a big lesson...the factory said something like I should get a housing???LOL...

look forward to your next post...ted

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/

Last edited by silvertip8k; 05-24-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:24 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi bear.
As mentioned The second Pic is a Real Cracker from your results you have a Fly which they liked.
Even though I've caught Brookies they weren't as big as those beauties.
Brian
Old 05-25-2013, 05:04 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

For those that thought that 2nd pic of the brookie was magazine worthy... it is!

Click the image to open in full size.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring