The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 06:35 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light
Default So, what do we have here?

I've been hitting the quills lately but I ran into these guys tonight, any ideas

Click the image to open in full size.

I put on a light hendrickson and did pretty good.

I finally got into this old guy, it was allot of fun on my 3wt.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:55 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: So, what do we have here?

Awesome fish.

Not exactly sure of the specifics, but its a mayfly of sorts. Someone here will know more for sure.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I "think" it is Hendrickson (Ephemerella "X").

Old 05-23-2013, 08:05 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

That second photo would make a great magazine cover!!! Very nice!!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 05-23-2013, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

How large were the May flies?

If those were big (like size 12 big) I'm thinking some sub genus of the March Brown. I never went too far into the full identification thing, but when we had flies like that in a size 12 I knew them as the March Brown. When they were the same size but with the darker body and wing they were known as the Grey Fox.

Or.............Larry is right

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-24-2013, 03:54 AM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
If those were big

They where almost a 12, Usually the Hendrickson hatch has come and gone by now (two weeks or so) and I thought the march browns where darker? It could be that I've got the two mixed up, I never could keep my bugs straight.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:10 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Boy, I don't know Tim............the size sounds about right and I've seen them in various tone of color. At any rate, rather than worry over the species I would be dubbing up some body's about that color and winging them with light bronze mallard flank.

Then I'd go fishing
webrx and bear 007 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-24-2013, 07:38 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

That's what I do Ard, I was never very good at figuring out what type of bug it really was, especially not by the Latin name. I would just open my fly box and see what I had that looked close to what I saw, if there wasn't anything there, then I would tie some up before the next trip. Failing that, I used and adams or an EHC.

Dave

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:06 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear 007 View Post

My best guess is Ephemerella invaria (female), one of about 4 or 5 eastern mayflies commonly known as Sulphurs... time is right for them. Best hatch of the year in my old neck of the woods (SE PA).

If you tie, Google Tups Indispensable and swing it under the hatch if you have trouble getting them to take your floating dun imitation.

Beautiful brookie pic's by the way. I agree with yonder, that second pic is magazine worthy.
silvertip8k and bear 007 like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-24-2013, 09:16 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

It would be very early for sulfurs in northeast Maine.
From a report that I read just this morning, they're still fishing Hendricksons in the Moosehead/Kennebec region
silvertip8k likes this.