The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 11:17 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yellow Stonefly

While fishing last weekend, I found this guy hanging out in some tall grass. Interestingly, it was the only one I saw and no risers either. It was however, the perfect opportunity to put the new camera to work.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
spiderninja likes this.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:23 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: Yellow Stonefly

Stonefly, and nice shot.

That's what most anglers call a Yellow Sally (Isoperla sp.). Keep an eye out for them... if your stream holds a good supply they can provide good dry fly fishing as they hatch midstream and ride the current like a mayfly (most stoneflies crawl out on rocks to hatch).

They come in lime green too.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 06-08-2013, 01:29 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the kudos. We were on the hunt this day for trout rising to cranes and did see a few of those fluttering about in the air but interestingly, few if any trout rose to them. I was on the stream bank watching my bud cast at a run hoping to hook into some fish and noticed that Yellow Sally hanging out on the blade of grass. Since I wasn't casting, I figured messing around with the camera might be a good idea. I was hoping to see more of them, but sadly that was the only one we saw that afternoon. I'll guess that it was about a #14. I guess it was a good thing I didn't see more, I didn't have any yellow stimulators with me
Old 06-08-2013, 01:46 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, little Yellow Sally, its a mainstay on western streams all summer. What size was one? They are generally around 16 or 18 in my parts. A small stimi or sparse caddis will suffice, just trim the hackle flat on the bottom, get it down in the water.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jay: Nice shot of the yellow sally, here ours are more the size 16/18 that John sees up his way.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

Just the end of last week, we had a great little Yellow Sallie hatch come off one of our local waters. SE Oregon. Dry fly action was hot for a couple of hours... Can't have much more fun than that.
utah daveii likes this.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 06-08-2013, 05:51 PM

silvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the rough

again...my favorite spot on the forum...a major player in western waters for sure...evidently in the east too...you have everyone digging out yellow dubbing and thread about now!

great pic and thanks for sharing...t
stenacron likes this.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 06-08-2013, 09:12 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutThroat Leaders View Post
Just the end of last week, we had a great little Yellow Sallie hatch come off one of our local waters. SE Oregon. Dry fly action was hot for a couple of hours... Can't have much more fun than that.
Fished the same hatch today on the same water. It was a blast.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:12 PM

silvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the rough

I just dyed up some mallard flanks with a yellow alcohol based dye from three rivers archery...should make some perfect wings for the yellow bug...

its funny I just got reports this week from the gunnison about not ony the monster stones coming off...but also yellow sallies too...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 06-09-2013, 11:59 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Just tied up a little variety pack of sallies myself!