The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 03:34 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hexes are here!

This is pic heavy, so apologies if your page loads slow.

I'm roughly 1/2 mile from the Ohio River and over the past several years I've noticed Hexes landing on my house. There has also been prolific hatch activity in Pittsburgh at Baseball games and other events held near the River. They chased Colby Calait off stage once they were so thick. LOL.

It's a great testament to how much the River has improved through the past few decades. I don't fish it, but it's cool to know they're there.

So I was outside this morning and saw this guy. It sure seems early for them, this is the first one I've seen this year.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is an old photo of a Hex Pattern I use on a stream I fish that gets them. Add a little brown color with a marker and you're set.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:36 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Hexes are here!

Excellent photos!
Old 06-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jay: Congrats on the gorgeous photos, very impressive work!

Old 06-10-2013, 07:39 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

pics with that kind of detail can be really inspiring...super job...on them and the tie too...the braided tail was for sure some work...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 06-10-2013, 07:39 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

He didnt mind posing for pictures!
Old 06-11-2013, 10:42 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I get a lot of missed strikes with the extended body flies. I must not be tying them right.

The best pattern that I have found is the Flex Hex by John Nebel. The body folds up and collapses so even the smaller trout can take it in. It rear segment also flops into odd angles and if you have ever been in the middle of a Hex spinner fall, the mayflies are contorted into odd shapes.

The Flex hex - The Flex-HexThe fly that did the Limbata as told by Jim Hauer - Global FlyFisher

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-11-2013, 12:41 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

And here I was thinking this thread was going to be about witchcraft .
stenacron likes this.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great pics!Congrats
Old 06-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Business Member

South Holston will become famous soon enough

Tell me Mayflies aren't beautiful
stenacron likes this.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:29 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

I get a lot of missed strikes with the extended body flies. I must not be tying them right.

you might be tying them just fine...but the old count to two rule can be of help too...

unlike nymphing , a slight bit of time is necessary for the trout pulling down a dry...I always count to two...then lift up the tip and set the hook.

if this is not the issue for you please disregard...OK...no insult intended at all...

I know folks can have what we have called the "nymph twitch" and not wait long enough...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/