The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 12:05 AM

biog is on a distinguished road
Default What is this bug?

I am pretty sure I'm going to feel foolish when I find out what I saw. It's gonna be obvious.

I already feel foolish because I didn't snap a pick of it. It had a very simple design however so I will give description a chance:

Went fishing today and, as I normally do I looked between and under rocks etc. to see what was going on. I saw a bunch of Baetis and some black stoneflies darkening up.

Then I saw, underneath about every other fist sized rock, what looks like a featureless caterpillar or grub. Dark brown stripe down the back light gray besides. Legs very much like a caterpillar. Obvious meaty sectioning from head to butt. no characteristic stonefly antennae tail etc. very fat, probably 1 and 1/2 inch in length. The butt end has a very stubby fibered tail darker than the brown back strip.

Tries to curl into a ball and stay still when you mess with it. Once relaxed it straightens out and works it's way back under rocks.

I feel like I do when I can't think of a popular actor's name. I know this bug and I'm gonna tie some up regardless as I'm sure trout can't resist a giant squishy meal like this when they come across it.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:19 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What is this bug?

Hellgrammites?
Old 01-12-2014, 01:22 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Other than coloration, did it look anything like this?
Click the image to open in full size.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-12-2014, 01:34 AM

Cranefly!! Not sure if this is the exact species as the ones I saw were better contrasted the top of the worm being darker brown, with the faint white lines Which I assume are innards or whatever.

I thought cranefly initially but I did not, for some reason, expect them to be so big and indeed so abundant. There were plenty of these things around although they were pretty well hidden. their defense mechaism of haphazardly bending into a grubby croissant must work against them when trapped in current as they seemingly will tumble about in a crescent until current subsides and they are able to retreat into cover?

I think a size 4 or 6 caddis worm hook? favorite cranefly patterns anyone?
christianfishn likes this.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:24 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Craneflies are true flies and in the same family as midges, Dipthera. Here are three patterns for the larva:

Walt's Worm

tying Walt's Worm a step-by-step

Charlie's Fly Box

Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

Tie a Vladi Condum Worm using a white latex.

http://www.lorenwflyfishes.com/tutor...phs/vladi-worm

From reading about adult cranefly patterns, the best dry pattern seems to be "Brun's Tipula" by Norwegian Andre Brun. It was in FFM in 2002. It is a relatively easy fly to tie and looks fantastic. I would use the correct brown color of foam rather than coloring the foam.

Brun's Tipula

Brun's Tipula - Norwegian Trut Bum Andre Brun ahows how to tie the polychenille extended body cranefly with its shivering rubber legs. This fly appeared first time in Flyfisherman magazine feb. 2002, and is still one of his all time favourite for bro

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-12-2014, 10:34 PM

those patterns are awesome
the condom one and the Brun"s r my favs. those wormy hooks catch my eye always, I have a box of #14's Ive been itchin to tie something on. Too bad thats too small for crane larvae
Old 01-13-2014, 08:14 AM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about

On the mad river in Ohio I fish size 6 crane fly patterns all winter long for Big Browns. I take lead wire and wrap 1/2 the shank in the middle. the wrap in some brassie sizes copper or brown wire to the back. Next wrap some tan dubbing with a little sparkle in it very thick up the hook. and finish by wrapping the wire forward! Its a killer pattern for big fish with the larva in em.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:33 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

What the heck is that Ard? I thought stoneflies were prehistoric...that bug is down right creepy!
Old 01-13-2014, 03:52 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
What the heck is that Ard? I thought stoneflies were prehistoric...that bug is down right creepy!
Hellgrammite = Larva of the Dobsonfly

http://www.troutnut.com/common-name/241/Hellgrammites

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-13-2014, 04:25 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Yeah...I think I'd opt out of that too!

That is one creepy insect. I can remember fishing with hellgrammites as a kid, we could buy them in a bait shop, I do not recall ever seeing one of these adult dobsonflies with the huge pinchers.