The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alt1001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 02:49 PM

alt1001 is on a distinguished road
Default Black quill, blue quill or BWO?

I didn't think it was a BWO but the Quills never hatch this early either. These were hatching pretty decent today.

Click the image to open in full size.
clay tonian likes this.

Last edited by alt1001; 02-03-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:00 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Black quill, blue quill or BWO?

Agree that its too early for the Blue Quills....based on the size and appearance I would think it is a BWO...tough to tell from the perspective. Inspired me to tie some quills for the upcoming spring in the smokies.

Nevertheless, great picture
Old 02-03-2014, 03:04 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Around here Blue Quills are always the first mayfly hatch of the season, but the water temperature has to be well into the 40s.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I wouldn't spend much time trying to identify the species of fly but would tie on a blue quill and have at it

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-03-2014, 03:24 PM

alt1001 is on a distinguished road

Asked a friend of mine who I would say might be the smartest fly fisherman I know and this was his response.

"That's a quill. If the body is alternating black and grey it's a blue quill. If there is brown in the body it's a quill Gordon"
Old 02-03-2014, 04:32 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

little olive quill or in some cases a B.W.O.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..