The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 10:58 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: This is worth a look!

Silvertip
These pics look familiar from Clarks forum? I really like these! I love the leggy, travelling sedge look. Thanks for sharing
Old 02-13-2014, 03:46 PM

bnorikane is on a distinguished road

That is an amazing video!

To give credit to the creator, that video and the others linked in this thread were copyrighted, shot, written and produced by Ralph and Lisa Cutter. (As mentioned in this thread) It's more than a bit troubling that the YouTube site does not mention the Cutter's at all. If I didn't recognize the footage, I would not have known.

I believe all those videos come from the Cutter's award winning DVD, "Bugs of the Underworld." On their website, they state that production took 11 years, 8 cameras and three countries.

The DVD can be purchased on
Amazon.com: Bugs of the Underworld DVD: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Bugs of the Underworld DVD: Sports & Outdoors

You can find more on the Cutter's work and research on their website, flyline.com.

I have no business affiliation with the Cutter's except as an admirer and owner of their work.
cpiercem and milt spawn like this.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:28 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Ted. love those flies......keep up the good work.
Maybe try some CDC for emerger....and/or a black bead and drown it......
Check out the adult stage Caddis in video, where she returns to lay eggs.
Covered in a silver bubble,...... perhaps a dash of flash.....?

One of the cool things about the video, was several bug scenes were shot on the Truckee.
Ralph returns most every year to survey the same hole.
Bnorikane, Thanks on Ralph's behalf.

Jim
Old 02-15-2014, 10:52 AM

mikey_boots is on a distinguished road

Great thread. After watching his videos, I have a whole new understanding of the major types of trout forage. And like others have stated, many ideas for my ties. Thank you for sharing.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:02 PM

shadowflyfishing is on a distinguished road

Great video, I am fortunate enough to fish an amazing caddis hatch every year at a local river. Its amazing how specific you have to be in order to catch the trout sometimes! I have even caught catfish and carp on caddis dry flies during an intense hatch!
Old 02-20-2014, 09:29 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Absolutely fantastic!

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 03-04-2014, 10:40 AM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

little follow up on this great thread...

first I tried something new (to me) with some mallard and Elk...

also I am sure the videos must be protected...how would someone go about getting permeission to link it...say on my own site...I dont like to just take it for granted etc... do these folks have a website? I did not see any reference to one?

here is a new fly I posted this morning over in the fly tying section...

its super easy...and when I was casting it this weekend it did well...as far as landing right side up...or at least sideways good...I am going to try a little hackle for legs...

Click the image to open in full size.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 03-04-2014, 01:37 PM

horsehead will become famous soon enoughhorsehead will become famous soon enough
Default This is worth a look!

Very cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2014, 09:56 AM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

I re read all the posts...and found their site...and after contacting them it appears that the you tube videos are done from copies of protected material...

I got permission to use them...but not everything out there is done with consent!

generally asking permission gets you all you need...more on this later I suspect...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/

Last edited by silvertip8k; 03-05-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:56 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

I posted this video link on another forum that Ralph Cutter checks in on. He added this comment to the thread...

Yeah, taken directly from our DVD. A chronic problem. What is worse are the *******s who burn bootleg versions of the DVD itself and sell them on ebay as originals. Then we get to field the complaints from outraged buyers who don't understand why the quality is so bad!

Its a shame that no credit was given to him in the video. And as BigFly pointed out here, this is indeed Ralphs work in whom all the credit should be given.
mcnerney likes this.