The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 09:50 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default This is worth a look!

Video removed due to pirated material. Sorry RC.
mcnerney, jpbfly, rickf and 8 others like this.

Last edited by jbird; 03-06-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is worth a look!

Jay: That was great, thanks for sharing.

Larry

Old 02-06-2014, 06:00 AM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Very interesting, thanks.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

That was a good vid. I learned a lot. Working on some new patterns after watching this.... thanks for sharing.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 02-06-2014, 09:38 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Check out this guys channel and see equally informative videos on Mayflies, Midges, Stoneflies and Damsels.
The thing that really hit me in this caddis video was the clip of the pupa throwing out a silk line in the current and they literally looked like they were being fished on the swing.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:02 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to jbird for this exceptional video. I went to YouTube to watch this and discovered the guy who made this vid also did vids on stoneflies, mayflies, midges and damsels and each is definitely worth a look.

For those who tie flies there is some very good reference material as to how our nymphs should look in order to trigger strikes from our quarry.

Not to jump on jbirds post, but I think these other videos are amazing and worth seeing as well as archiving for use when tying imitations.

Here they are:

Check them out and thanks jbird for pointing us in this direction

Kelly
Old 02-06-2014, 12:01 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Ralph Cutter is a local guy who I consider an answer man.
You guys should kick down for the video.....
Cutters, California school of Fly fishing.....
As a tyer, I've watched it dozens of times, and still find ideas every time I view.
Ralph saved my career, by telling me to "go swim it".

jim

"It's not just fishing the right bug, it's fishing the bug just right......."
BF

Last edited by Bigfly; 02-10-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

excellent videos guys thanks for sharing
Old 02-06-2014, 11:37 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
Thanks for sharing. I love a movie with a happy ending !
Old 02-13-2014, 10:18 AM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

What an incredible video!...thanks so much for sharing this with us all!!

what an incredible amount of work and determination it must have taken to make this up...there is so much to be learned here, you could do twenty various attempts at mimmicking the different phases...maybe even one when the adult is coming out of the case...what a bvulnerable moment!

I think tying caddis bugs is my favorite of all things to tie...here are a few I posted quite a while ago, but now I want to redo a few things after watching this video...thanks very much...t

Click the image to open in full size.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/