The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 07:08 PM

snakemau is on a distinguished road
Default Great book to learn some aquatic insects info!

Click the image to open in full size.

Check it out if you want to learn a bit more about the biology, life cycles, and others of our aquatic insects

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mcnerney and hairwing530 like this.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:11 PM

mtaag3 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great book to learn some aquatic insects info!

I looked this book up on Amazon and it was around $150. Are there any less expensive alternatives?
Old 07-31-2014, 10:20 AM

clay tonian will become famous soon enough

anything written by this guy => Rick Hafele

or, this guy if you fish in the east => Thomas Ames, Jr.
mcnerney and eastfly66 like this.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:15 AM

changler will become famous soon enoughchangler will become famous soon enough

Merritt & Cummins is the bible when it comes to aquatic insect identification, it's what most college level invertebrate taxonomy classes use as their textbook, and it's what state and federal agencies use when they're ID'ing bugs for water quality purposes. Its keys will allow you do identify all the way down to species so long as you have the microscopes/magnification and training to do so. It's an excellent resource.

Macafferty's Aquatic Entomology- The Fisherman's and Ecologist's Illustrated Guide to Insects and their relatives is less technical, and its illustrated keys are a little easier to work for folks who aren't well versed in the terminology and jargon of species identification. For the most part it'll only get you down to the family level, but in most instances the nymphs of several different species within a single family look pretty similar. It's priced about the same as Merritt & Cummins, but depending on how deep you want to delve into entomology, it may be a good alternative.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:26 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what Clay said above: anything written by this guy => Rick Hafele

I also like "Fish Food" by Ralph Cutter:
Fish Food: A Fly Fisher's Guide to Bugs and Bait: Ralph Cutter: 9780811732192: Amazon.com: Books Fish Food: A Fly Fisher's Guide to Bugs and Bait: Ralph Cutter: 9780811732192: Amazon.com: Books

and "Handbook of Hatches" by Dave Hughes:
Handbook Of Hatches: Introductory Guide to the Foods Trout Eat & the Most Effective Flies to Match Them: Dave Hughes: 9780811731829: Amazon.com: Books Handbook Of Hatches: Introductory Guide to the Foods Trout Eat & the Most Effective Flies to Match Them: Dave Hughes: 9780811731829: Amazon.com: Books
hairwing530 and lacanadio like this.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:32 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

The price and "grouping" (on Amazon) leads me to believe that this book may be more along the lines of a college text book (perhaps for someone pursuing a degree in Entomology).

There are very good books written BY anglers FOR anglers that will get the job done, even for the extra-nerdy types (like me) for a quarter of that price... or less.

In other words, if you're seeking the knowledge to enhance your fly fishing for trout, there is really no need to know EVERY aquatic insect... only those that occur in trout rivers, lakes, and ponds.

Some of my favorites:
--Hatches II (Nastasi/Caucci)
--Caddisflies (LaFontaine)

...or a little more detail than most would want:
--Nymphs, volume I and II (Schweibert)

To be fair, almost all reference books are expensive.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 07-31-2014, 02:31 PM

mtaag3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
The price and "grouping" (on Amazon) leads me to believe that this book may be more along the lines of a college text book (perhaps for someone pursuing a degree in Entomology).

There are very good books written BY anglers FOR anglers that will get the job done, even for the extra-nerdy types (like me) for a quarter of that price... or less.

In other words, if you're seeking the knowledge to enhance your fly fishing for trout, there is really no need to know EVERY aquatic insect... only those that occur in trout rivers, lakes, and ponds.

Some of my favorites:
--Hatches II (Nastasi/Caucci)
--Caddisflies (LaFontaine)

...or a little more detail than most would want:
--Nymphs, volume I and II (Schweibert)

To be fair, almost all reference books are expensive.
Thanks for your reply. I have no need to earn my PhD in Entomology, I'm just trying to separate my duns from my un-duns.

Just a good, basic, fly fishing entomology book was all I was after. I will look at the titles you recommended along with the authors the others mentioned.

Mike
Old 11-02-2014, 06:15 PM

majohnson is on a distinguished road

I've been fishing now just a bit over 3 month the book I found to be helpful is the "Hatch Guide For Western Streams". Its size allows me to carry it in my waders chest pocket. It not only allows me to quick reference stream side, but it also has pictures of flies for that insect in different stages. It also has other info handy for fly fishing and fly tying.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:04 PM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay tonian View Post
or, this guy if you fish in the east => Thomas Ames, Jr.
I have the Ames book for the East , very good