The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Entomology

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 08:12 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default I got confused about Mayflies

Somewhere I read something that discussed fishing and referred to Mayfly hatches and Callibaetis Hatches as something different.

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't all Mayflies Callibaetis?

Old 04-27-2014, 09:21 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: I got confused about Mayflies

You are not wrong. I don't know Latin and am a poor entomologist, but the Baetis family of insects are mayflies.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:43 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Here is chart of how insects are classified.

Mayflies are an "Order" of insects under the "Class" of insects. They are in the order Ephemeroptera. Then Baetis is a Family of under the class of Ephemeroptera = Mayflies.

Click the image to open in full size.

Baetis is a subset of mayflies so that all Baetis are Mayflies but NOT all Mayflies are Baetis. In the diagram below, Mayflies are "A" and Baetis are "B."

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-27-2014, 11:26 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Callibaetis are a mayfly ! usually found in lakes and slower water. can be a big hatch out west.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 04-27-2014, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Don't let the lingo throw ya buddy,

I went through a period when I was in my mid to late twenties during which I thought I needed to know every fly in my area by the Latin nomenclature, and it was something to do. By the time I had reached my mid forties I had learned the proper color and size of everything and forgotten all but a hand full of the Latin names. I remember listening to a very spirited argument between two anglers once over whether the hatch were March Brown or the Gray Fox; Stenonema vicarium or Stenonema fuscum. It seemed to be really silly to me but to the guys engaged in the debate it was serious business.

Whatever you do, don't forget the Ephemera Guttulata hatch in your state or you'll have to turn in your rod & reel

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-27-2014, 02:56 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

So what your saying is a bug really might not be that bug; but, it's still is a bug.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:17 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Thank you Silver Creek.

That explains it. It is very confusing when some author writes about a
Mayfly Hatch and a "Baetis" hatch as though they are two different things to watch for.

Your practical knowledge is very much appreciated.
kglissmeyer1 and clay tonian like this.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:53 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post

Somewhere I read something that discussed fishing and referred to Mayfly hatches and Callibaetis Hatches as something different.

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't all Mayflies Callibaetis?

Like sandfly pointed out, Callibaetis are one of the few, significant mayflies to be found in stillwater lakes and ponds (where as most others are found only in flowing waters). Perhaps that is the distinction that was being made in what you were reading?

---------- Post added at 07:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post

I remember listening to a very spirited argument between two anglers once over whether the hatch were March Brown or the Gray Fox; Stenonema vicarium or Stenonema fuscum. It seemed to be really silly to me but to the guys engaged in the debate it was serious business.
I wonder if those guys settled their feud after entomologists re-classified these two (2) species as the same same - Maccaffertium vicarium?

They still look quite different to me by the way... nymphs and adults

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-30-2014, 11:00 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
I wonder if those guys settled their feud after entomologists re-classified these two (2) species as the same same - Maccaffertium vicarium?

They still look quite different to me by the way... nymphs and adults
Beginners don't need to obsess about the exact species of a mayfly hatch because they almost always emerge where they live. So you can fish a nymph about the same size of the adult dead drift during emergence with a Leisering Lift. Vary the shape according to where the mayfly lives, e.g., clingers for fast water; clingers and crawlers for riffles, etc, with a generic fly like the PT or GRHE that mimics the shape and shade of the nymph.

But in the case of the Brown Drakes and Gray Fox, they live in fast water but emerge in slow water so during emergence, they move laterally in the river. Presumably, you can mimic this behavior pre-hatch and catch the trout feeding during this migration. I have a friend that fishes the hatch this way. I'll have to have him take me out someday.

So in some cases knowledge of the specific insect helps you to decide how to fish the nymph.

Mayfly Species Maccaffertium vicarium (March Brown) hatch & pictures
kglissmeyer1 and stenacron like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-30-2014, 12:16 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

At some point, if one lives in the West and ties May Fly patterns, this becomes a necessary addition to the books in and around the bench:

Western Mayfly Hatches: Rick Hafele, Dave Hughes: 0081127001385: Amazon.com: Books Western Mayfly Hatches: Rick Hafele, Dave Hughes: 0081127001385: Amazon.com: Books

PT/TB
kglissmeyer1 and stenacron like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/