The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Equipment for Alaska

Equipment for Alaska Questions about gear and equipment needed to fish Alaska

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I Need A Special Rod For Alaska?

Vince: If you don't carry a gun and are fishing alone, I would at least get a big can of bear spray! If you're fishing with a guide or with a group you probably will be ok, just be sure you are making noise as you move around in the brush or along trails.

Larry
Old 02-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Dittos on the Spray! I keep one clipped to my wader belt and another in the boat Larry.

Ard
Old 02-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Dittos on the Spray! I keep one clipped to my wader belt and another in the boat Larry.

Ard
Ard: I knew you were a smart guy! Nothing like playing it safe when it comes to bears.

Larry
Old 02-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Remember the article "Fishing With the Bears"?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-10-2010, 08:45 AM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough

that was a great atricle i learnt alot from it

vince
Old 03-19-2010, 12:07 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Wilky, I have been up to the Ak 12 times in twelve years. For the first 5 years i carried a LARGE caliber handgun, and never saw a bear within 100 yards of me....black or brown. So I quit carrying one up from pennsylvania with me. 3 years ago, the sockeye piled up in Skilak Lake and for some reason would run out, and on up the Kenai. That year, the first week of August, I saw 17 bear in one day, 10 of them browns. I had no gun. The crowds were down, and I wish fishing near the ferry at the Russian River sanctuary. Two, two year old brown bear cubs (each about 500 pounds) stole my backpack and shredded it looking for the Hershey bar I had in the front pouch. The back pack was on shore less that 3 steps from me when they stole it. I had blackies that trip within 2 feet of me looking for my stringer. With all that said, I didn't need a gun, but if it would have turned ugly.......well I don't think about it.

The very next year, the 454 was on my hip. Oh, if you are not VERY familiar with drawing and firing a huge handgun rapidly under a pressure situation,(practice, practice, practice) leave the gun at home. Buy the bear spray...results vary, but you are more likely to be successful with pepper spray than with an unpracticed handgun. Just my opinion.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

dmwphoto, if you don't have your plans made by now you may not be able to go this year. The Alganak Lodge is pretty popular and don't have a lot of openings each year. At least that use to be the case.

Vince, I fished and hunted all over Alaska and never carried a side arm. My partner always had his 44 mag on his hip so I never bothered. Of course when hunting we always had a rifle in hand. I think if you don't have a lot of practice shooting at moving game with a sidearm you will be much better off with a large can of pepper spray. Away from the river walking through bear brush your best precaution is to make noise. When you are on a river with bears and Salmon the bear is more interested in the Salmon. The biggest mistake you can make is to startle a bear. Most of the time the bear will beat feet but you just never know. We didn't have bear spray back in the 70's and noise was our best friend.

Just in case a bear decides he doesn't like you they may do a false charge or stand and rattle their teeth. You need to move off slowly and get out of what he considers his territory. Never turn and run, that is what food does.

I think talking is the best way to keep bears alert to your presence. Brush covered riverbanks will have many bear trails. Make sure if you move away from one bear you don't walk into another one. If for some reason you are alone you still need to talk. I use to walk around saying, Hello Bear, Whats up Mr. Bear and so on. Some people use to carry bells that jingled as they walked. I never liked that idea because bears are inquisitive. I was always afraid they might come to see what the devil that noise was.

Frank
Old 03-21-2010, 08:11 AM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough

Hmmmmm, which rod to take. First time I went to Alaska, I took 18 rods. Now in my defense there were three other guys going and a couple were spares for them.

The last time I went I took 3 rods. My primary is a custom built 5/6 wt and I took a 5 wt St. Croix as a spare and I took one heavy spinning rod for Red Fishing.

First time we took 2 pistol grip 12 guages and one .357 pistol. I replaced the 12 guage with a SW 500. There were 9 of us on the second trip and a couple guys took smaller revolvers .44's.

Both trips we spent quite a bit of time in "Bear Country" and saw a handfull of bears from as close as sniffing around our tents and standing on the River with us to lumbering across the trails we were on.

Best weapon I took was advice from Alaskans, others who have been there, and books that were recommended.

When the bear came into our campsite, while it made us all a bit big eyed. Nobody paniced. When I spoke to the park ranger and told him we would be camping along the Russian River he told me there would be a good chance bears may come around our tents.

We expected it would happen and made sure there was no food in the tents, the area was clean and while curioustiy may bring them in, we made sure there was nothing there to keep him around.

For many reasons I consider my trips to Alaska to be periods of time where I was living life to the fullest.

This should give you a laugh.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:52 PM

NVYDVR1 is on a distinguished road

I heard that bear scat in Alaska smells like fly fisherman seasoned with pepper.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:41 PM

dicosmoecus is on a distinguished road

vince
I fished the situk river last yr,and had my 44 in plain site in the boat.
we saw black bear ,lots of evidence of other bear and MOOSE,just as dangerous.
we were not in need of the firearm,but dang glad it was on board,better to have and not need ,than need and not have.
you may want to consider going on alsakas fish and wildlife pg and looking at their tutorial for bear,good to be informed ,cuz each species of bear acts different.
have a good trip.
moe