The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Equipment for Alaska

Equipment for Alaska Questions about gear and equipment needed to fish Alaska

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Do I Need A Special Rod For Alaska?

Somehow even a discussion of fly rods digresses into a gun forum. For anyone who might plan to stay in one of the campgrounds at Russian River, these are very large developed places. Another thing to know is that the Russian River is a very shallow stream and quite small; this is why bears want to go there to catch fish. On any given day during the sockeye runs there are at least 1000 or more people crowded onto this small shallow river. The hype and fear of and about bears on the Russian has led to more bears being shot there and more confrontations than anywhere else that I know of.

I personally do not fish this river regardless of how many salmon crowd into the shallow flows. I have been there but on such occasions have witnessed more crowding, snagging, rudeness, and general bad behavior among a huge number of men (most of whom are either wearing side arms or have shotguns slung over their backs) than anywhere on the North American continent I have ever been.

I have said this before and will write it again. I spend as much or more time in Bush country than some guides and I do not live in fear of bears. The conditions that will invite a bear to a stream are pretty easy to spot and when you realize that you are trying to fish in a brown bears pantry there is a choice you must make. By staying you are crossing a line and taking a chance that may end up badly. I have been fortunate in my number of bear encounters but it is not the product of luck. It is the result of being careful. I may be killed by a bear this season because something totally uncontrollable happens but I would not bet on it. Although firearms are an important consideration when camping in some of the very remote places I fish my awareness of surroundings is more important than my reliance on ordinance and fire control.

It would be a wonderful thing if we could discuss the rods most applicable for fishing Alaska and not spend too much time worrying which gun to bring with.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-06-2011, 01:10 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Ard,
Thanks for the information on Rods. I was hoping to make it up to your area this summer but the bottom fell out on my plans, maybe next year.
I am going to save your original post as it is the most relevant I have been able to find.
many thanks
Old 10-07-2011, 08:14 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Bottom line: If the salmon are there (especially true of Sockeye), the bears are there. The salmon are their primary food source, and they need the fish to pack on fat for the long Ak winters. Next summer will be my 14th year travelling up to what I think of as heaven. I've "seen" bears every year, some close, some not so close. Only ever felt threatened twice, and only one incident in which pepper spray was used by a Russian River Ferry ranger. As far as the Blacks are concerned, I actually had one come out of the brush behind me, grab my stringer of Sockeye which was about a foot from my feet, and run back into the brush. I never heard the bear coming, and only when it was actually grabbing the fish did I see it. Talk about leaving a brown streak! I think I actually blew out my waders. I learned my lesson.....

Be prepared, be alert, and know how to properly retreat when in doubt. Ain't no fish worth a bear on your back!

I guess, what I'm saying is if the thought of potentially sharing the fishing grounds with four legged carnivours terrifies you don't go!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I don't fish on the Russian River and it's not because of bears but that's another story. This is a favorite destination for me, darn near as many fish and the crowd, well........

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Remember, this was about rods, I use the one in the picture for darn near everything these days.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I don't fish on the Russian River and it's not because of bears but that's another story. This is a favorite destination for me, darn near as many fish and the crowd, well........

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Remember, this was about rods, I use the one in the picture for darn near everything these days.
Ard: Can't blame you for not wanting to fish with the crowds on the Russian River, that isn't my idea of a fun fishing outing either. That stream above sure looks nice!

Larry

Old 10-07-2011, 01:23 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

my ak rod selection usually is this-

7'9" 4 weight for smaller stream char and bows
9' 5 weight for char and bows on bigger water and for grayling
9' 8 weight for all salmon except chinook
9' 9 weight for chinook

and, as ard mentioned, i would go 9' 10 or 11 weight for kenai river chinook
and bear spray.

my dad used to work for fish and game in alaska back in the 70's and one of his jobs was to hike up remote streams and count the population of different salmon species that were in there. back then him and his partner both carried 12 gauge shot guns over there shoulder as well as a steel bell on there belt. the bell let the natives know of there presence, and, according to him, saved them from having to use the gun countless times.

casey

ARFE
Old 10-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Ard: Can't blame you for not wanting to fish with the crowds on the Russian River, that isn't my idea of a fun fishing outing either. That stream above sure looks nice!

Larry
It makes me tired at the end of the day (getting there & back) Larry. With the water dropping and the fact that I am trout & grayling fishing (with a few char here & there) I am not using the boat, I'm walking. Nancy is going to go along Sunday I think and that'll be cool she's my photographer and always makes sure we have a good lunch The photos will become less & less colorful because things are about done this far inland. Next week we may be going late run silver fishing down the peninsula and there may be some leaves up out there still.

[Casey] That's a good rod selection for sure, next year if you get in touch sooner I'll have you casting the two hand rod, you'll like that...........

Old 10-08-2011, 09:43 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

looking forward to it

ARFE
Old 02-14-2012, 06:02 PM

pikehunter948 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
my ak rod selection usually is this-

7'9" 4 weight for smaller stream char and bows
9' 5 weight for char and bows on bigger water and for grayling
9' 8 weight for all salmon except chinook
9' 9 weight for chinook

and, as ard mentioned, i would go 9' 10 or 11 weight for kenai river chinook
and bear spray. casey
That's bit light for everything except the grayling. I use heavier rods primarily, b/c you never know what you'll hook.

4-5 wt is fine for grayling and dolly varden
6-7 wt for bows and char
9 wt for silvers and sockeyes
11-12 wt for Togiak kings and a 14-16 wt for Kenai monsters

Pack rods are my fav, only b/c I've mashed too many in screen doors and trunk lids. Most I've designed and built myself from Lamiglass (up to 7wt) and Fisher (8-16) blanks. I still prefer my Wes Jordan 8-wt bamboo for just about any big-water trout or steelhead, coupled with a Hardy Husky silent drag.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:04 PM
Administrator

I don't like to be taking sides but Casey's rods will do just fine. Since he grew up here I trust his judgment when it comes to rods.

Me, I'm a transplant but have landed more kings on a 9 weight that many folks would imagine. I have every bit of confidence that I could land a 60 pound king on my #9 rod.............................