The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Equipment for Alaska

Equipment for Alaska Questions about gear and equipment needed to fish Alaska

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 03:01 AM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen
Default Re: Do I Need A Special Rod For Alaska?

Honestly I'd be more worried about mosquito's than bears, mosquito's are the true Alaskan predator!
Old 05-07-2012, 03:34 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

That is a fact Allen. They seemed to be especially prolific this weekend. You would think they would at least leave us alone till the snow melts from the parking lot!
ak allen likes this.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:54 AM

browell7 is on a distinguished road

I've been fishing Alaska for 10 years, mostly south-central Alaska. Here are my rods.

St. Croix Imperial 8'6" 5 wt. - Small stream trout, grayling, and dollies
Orivis Hydros 9'6" 6 wt. - Kenai rainbows and dollies
St. Croix Imperial 10' 8 wt. - Pinks, Chum, Sockeye, Silver, Steelhead

My advice for folks coming to AK to fish the road system is to have a rod/line combo that you can roll cast pretty well and most importantly have a reel with a good drag.

I've fished the Russian many times but have had way to many close calls on that river. The water is loud, the banks are brushy, and it's way to easy to have bears walk right up on you from behind without seeing them until it's too late. Combine that with the large crowds and it makes for a not so relaxing day of fishing. Because of the easy access and loads of fish, this will always be a popular spot.

I carry a 44. magnum. It seems like a pea shooter when a Russian River brownie is 10 feet away. The best thing to do is to make lots of noise and fish with other people.

With all that being said, just be smart. Don't let bearanoia ruin you day on the river.

Last edited by browell7; 05-11-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey there,

We're not too far apart, I'm just outside Wasilla right now waiting for the ice to go out. When the rivers clear I'll be headed back to the cabin but I'm around these days. I don't go down where you mention but do fish the upper Kenai at least once a year.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-09-2013, 04:45 PM

jtb1957 is on a distinguished road

Good luck landing most of our rainbows with a 4-weight. I live in Anchorage, fish Southcentral and Bristol Bay drainages a lot, usually fish a 6-weight for trout, but a 7-weight for late-season fish on the Kenai.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:12 PM

browell7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hey there,

We're not too far apart, I'm just outside Wasilla right now waiting for the ice to go out. When the rivers clear I'll be headed back to the cabin but I'm around these days. I don't go down where you mention but do fish the upper Kenai at least once a year.

Ard
Hi Ard,

I spend most of my time on the Parks streams but do get to the KP a few times a year. I can't wait till this ice goes out. Could be any day now.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I was just out checking and the ice is there................ About a year behind this spring eh?

Old 05-11-2013, 07:03 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak allen View Post
Honestly I'd be more worried about mosquito's than bears, mosquito's are the true Alaskan predator!
Even though there are heaps of Bears they are mainly use to people in most Places.
When you visit Brook's The Bears have Right of Way there is even an over River Bridge & when there's a Bear around The Gates are Closed.
Also there's Bear Proof Gates everywhere ???
I Really enjoyed Fishing & Having a look around as Katmai is a Wonderful Place.
As for The Mozzies ours over here would eat The Ones In Alaska For Breakfast I still have The marks to prove it as we were just about eaten alive.
Brian
Old 05-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Brian,

I consider this a direct challenge!

"As for The Mozzies ours over here would eat The Ones In Alaska For Breakfast"

I will put our Hewitt Lakers up against anything you've got down there

Old 06-06-2013, 01:12 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

Ideally a person would have a rod for each state. One must be prepared.
rockriver likes this.