The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Equipment for Alaska

Equipment for Alaska Questions about gear and equipment needed to fish Alaska

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Do I Need A Special Rod For Alaska?

Many people who are planning a fishing trip north to Alaska may wonder about this question; Do I need a special rod for Alaska? I donít mean to be ambiguous with my response but the answer is maybe. The rod choices will revolve around what species you are coming to fish for. Keep in mind that the various salmon species are not all here at once so unless you are coming in May and staying until September you won't hit them all.

I'll put forth some info here and perhaps it will be of use or interest as you consider fishing in Alaska. Let's take a look at my experiences with different fish and the tackle I use successfully to catch them.

Grayling: (May - October) These fish generally run around 1 - 2 pounds so trout rods in weights 2 - 6 make a good match.

Arctic Char / Dolly Varden: ( May - October) Depending on the size of the watershed you fish these can range from an 8" fish to a 27 lb. monster. I have landed some large char on typical trout tackle. (7'9" 5wt) If you are headed to a large river with a good char population a 9' 7wt would give you a nice margin for success if you get into a big one. Char are sort of like big brown trout, they do not jump a lot but tend to sulk along the bottom but can produce a series of powerful runs before you bring them in.

Trout / Steelhead : (June - November) Here in Alaska trout means [rainbow] and since many rivers flow into the ocean within a short distance of where you may be fishing, rainbow means [steelhead]. If you fish interior waters where the fish are indigenous the trout may weigh up to or over ten pounds. However, the average rainbow may fall between 1 Ė 4 lbs. These fish will act pretty much like any wild rainbow trout, fast runs and cart wheeling aerial displays. For trout fishing large rivers your 9' 7wt or 8wt will be plenty of rod. If you have a long rod like a Spey or switch rod the 6 through 8 weight rods will handle most situations for trout here. [Note] South East AK. does offer Cutthroat Trout.

Salmon: I use my 9' 7wt rods for sockeye, pink, and silver salmon. For King salmon I bump up to a 9' 9wt and use a 25 lb tippet. A king here can weigh as much as 97 lbs. if it is your lucky day. Of course if they all weighed that much I would say bring a 12 wt and stock up on 80 lb spider wire, they don't and if you own a 9wt you can get by with one. [Note] If your destination and timing is centered on the King Salmon run and the Kenai River you may want to consider an 11wt rod. I say this because the Kenai consistently produces the largest kings in Alaska. On the Kenai 40lb salmon are common. You can handle them on your 9wt but if you were to hook into the next state record king, you would appreciate the extra muscle of the heaver rod. [Note] Chum salmon do occur in my area but not in great numbers. If I hit a chum run my 7wt will handle any chum I find.

These recommendations are based on my experience fishing here in AK. and are offered as a basis to open the conversation on tackle for Alaska, let's hear what you think. Next weíll take a look at your reel.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-08-2010, 12:28 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Do I Need A Special Rod For Alaska?

very useful. Currently looking at possible the 2nd or 3rd week of July on the Alganak. Need to google a bit more....

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Dave,

The rainbows over there will be large. I have never been to the Bay. If we ever sell the cabin I will make South West my new haunt. I'll PM some info on fishing opportunities over there.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:43 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough

hi i hope to head up to alaska next year and was thinking of building a 10" 9/10 wt switch rod would it be ok for a king salmon
and do you have any suggestions of a good area to fish for them
many thanks

vince
Old 02-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Vince,

If you have the right reel you can land a king on darn near any rod. Your choice of rod will be fine for fishing here. Make sure the reel will hold plenty of backing and you will be good.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:01 PM

laut is on a distinguished road

Don't forget to bring your 44 mag or 500 W&S for grizzle.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Do I Need A Special Rod For Alaska? You bet, at least that is what I tell the wife! I had a 4 wt for Grayling, a 4 wt for dollies and rainbows and a 9 wt for salmon, but a guy always needs a new rod, especially planning a trip to Alaska, right! Oh yes, don't forget the 44 mag! If you have one you will never see a bear, if you forget, well things could get ugly.

Larry
Old 02-08-2010, 06:37 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

thats how I roll Larry!

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwphoto View Post
thats how I roll Larry!
Dave: LMAO! Best of luck and I sure hope you have a lot of fun on your trip, be sure to get lots of photos and dress warm!

Larry
Old 02-09-2010, 08:00 AM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough

do you think i would need to carry a gun for bears i dont really want to fish parts that i call tourist river where peopple fish often theres no real fun in it i like to get away from civilization to a degree so i can relax and fish and not let any of lifes problems get to me but i dont want to be eaten by a bear and i am not exactly the luckiest person

vince