The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Equipment for Alaska

Equipment for Alaska Questions about gear and equipment needed to fish Alaska

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2016, 03:58 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Alaska Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyoc20 View Post
Awesome advice. Thanks for the quick response. I don't mind spending the money on a good set up. But it just seems like the extra dollars you pay are for the name, Sage Orvis etc. at the same point though. For me this a once in a lifetime trip and I don't want to be second guessing my gear or find out it's not up to par once I get here

Well a 'yes and no' here. Save for a breakage (only happened once in 60+ years) you've got 'the rod.' Plastic rods have evolved ... Boo's are for ever.

My House Keeper lady was fondling my stick ... NO NOT THAT STICK!!... and 'Will you take me and my kids fishing? She/kids due here tomorrow to match up with rods .... and 'You will tie your own flies as I shooed them into the DEN, THE MAN CAVE ... flicking eyes ... Why is the door LOCKED?? (Its not)

'Child ... heathen beasties live within ... are you up for them???' TEATH, FEARSOMIE TEeTH ... squeels of anticippption.

Fast, but long drive, to the Motor Home to get the second vise.
Ard Stetts, mcnerney and rockriver like this.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:53 PM

ptarmigan is just really niceptarmigan is just really niceptarmigan is just really niceptarmigan is just really nice

That LSI or even their TLR will be enough rod. I'd bring a minimum of two, if not three rods up here. The ECHO ION reel is a great budget reel as well. Whatever you get make sure to spend some time with it before leaving. That way you'll know how it casts and can shake out any potential demons left over from manufacturing. Take care to match your line properly also. Sometimes those combos come with low quality fly line which can make casting for a week a bit miserable.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:03 PM

ia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptarmigan View Post
That LSI or even their TLR will be enough rod. I'd bring a minimum of two, if not three rods up here. The ECHO ION reel is a great budget reel as well. Whatever you get make sure to spend some time with it before leaving. That way you'll know how it casts and can shake out any potential demons left over from manufacturing. Take care to match your line properly also. Sometimes those combos come with low quality fly line which can make casting for a week a bit miserable.
He meant to say the line is almost always junk within a few hours. They don't put good stuff on lower priced combos because they know beginners are price shopping.
fredaevans and ptarmigan like this.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:03 PM

akfred is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum. You have already received much good advice. I have lived, worked in fisheries and fished in Alaska for the past 46 years. The Goodnews is a great coho river. You will very likely fish for rainbow trout, Arctic grayling and Dolly Varden in addition to chow and maybe chum salmon. You will probably catch more DV than anything else. DV in the Goodnews will average around three pounds but may range up to six or eight pounds. A six wt rod will be perfect for them and any rainbows or grayling you may catch. For coho I would second the recommendations of an eight weight rod. You should be able to get by with floating lines but may want a sink tip for some coho situations. I would go with lodge recommendations for lines and flies since they know the requirements of the places they fish. Have a great trip.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:19 AM

mattyoc20 is on a distinguished road

This is the fly rod I am thinking about going with? 9' 8w. Thoughts?

BVK Series

Also. I have 9'6" 5W that I use for trout. Can I get away with this for grayling and the leapord trout up there? I would like to not have to buy 2 new rods
Old 12-24-2016, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Ard Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Stetts Send a message via Skype™ to Ard Stetts

I've used 9 foot eight weights for silvers and had no issues and your five weight should be fine. The thing to remember is leader strength. I never go under a 12 pound tippet but it should be noted that I fish with streamers and tubes and am swinging the flies. I've caught some monster fish while trout fishing with my 7'9" far & Fine and it's all about the leader. With a 15 pound leader you can land a 15 pound fish on a #5 rod.
mcnerney and ptarmigan like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-24-2016, 03:33 PM

ptarmigan is just really niceptarmigan is just really niceptarmigan is just really niceptarmigan is just really nice

I bought a BVK (and sold it) and while it was a nice rod, it didn't have as much power for pulling big fish out of the current. The tip section seemed quite fragile as well. If it was me I would buy this one Lefty Kreh TiCr X Series as it has more lifting power and can withstand more abuse. Nothing worse than your rod breaking on the first day when your fly whacks the tip.
Ard Stetts and mcnerney like this.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Ard Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Stetts Send a message via Skype™ to Ard Stetts

Good info Matt

Merry Christmas from the Valley.

It's been so long since I've bought a 9 foot rod I don't know what to tell a guy to get. Although I still have those Quarrow rods I got in 2006 for 48 bucks a piece and they are great. You can't break one if you try and seem to cast well.

Actually going to a lodge, they generally have fly rods ready to go so it's not necessary to buy anything for a one time 5 day trip. I've only worked for a few of them and not at Goodnews but the three I have all had tackle galore for clients.

Seriously I would direct all questions to the lodge and guides to get the real skinny on what is needed.
mcnerney and ptarmigan like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-24-2016, 06:14 PM

james w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant future

Here's what I'd do, given your 6wt rod is not going to be a long-term partnership.
[I just deleted the rest of this train of thought]

Alternatively, you've got lots and lots of time . . . scouring eBay every few days should eventually yield a near new or gently used rod perfect for your trip. And the next ones if you fall in love with Alaska.

Set a price limit of 50-60% of new retail and stick to it. This opens up a huge selection of rods. Be patient. If it doesn't work out by July 1, you can still buy a rod retail.
mcnerney likes this.