The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Everything Else

Everything Else Articles on casting, techniques and anything else you can think of.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 05:04 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Fisher Dies in Clark River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
It is a shame than this fellow lost his life.

I have never heard of anyone being belted into a float tube. I suspect that the belted in part resulted in his drowning. Since it is a U-tube he could have learned over too far forward and flip over that way. Being belted in prevented he from fleeing the tube once it was inverted. A terrible thing.
Agree with Frank.

Someone told me a long time ago that there used to be a military test for aspiring pilots that involved being turned upside down in the water (simulating a water ditch). My understanding is that a lot of them had trouble with that test. The panic of being in the water and being upside down caused them to miss the key factor; un-belting themselves to escape.

I would never belt myself into any water craft and I've been spending time on the water for well over 50 years.

Pocono
Old 02-04-2011, 05:31 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

This is very unfortunate, I cant see the logic in teathering one's self to somthing that might over turn or sink

over here they have been looking at making life jackets (pfd's) a legal requirement.

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 02-04-2011, 02:11 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

That is sad.
Understandable in that I bet it happens (flips) in a hurry. Even though there are a gazillion guys that float without incident this incident woke me to having the most stable tube I can get for cheap insurance. That plus maybe wearing the PFD that I always have, and never wear.
*Chris; we have a law that says that you must be in possession of a PFD in a boat. You don't have to be wearing it. I don't know if that applies to float tubes or not.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jimmie,

Here in Florida if you use an inflatable PFD you must have it on to qualify as a PFD in your boat. You must have a life preserver for every sole on board.

Frank
Old 02-04-2011, 02:29 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Jimmie,

Here in Florida if you use an inflatable PFD you must have it on to qualify as a PFD in your boat. You must have a life preserver for every sole on board.

Frank
We have the same requirement here in Wyoming too. You are not required to wear them but there must be one for each occupant in the boat.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-10-2011, 01:44 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

The way your stripping apron attaches across your lap in a tube, as in my fish cat 4, can "belt" you in the boat. We keep hearing of guys in such boats who lean forward netting fish, grabbing for their tippet or flies and tipping over to the front.

I now wear a manual inflate pfd and I do NOT lock in the stripping apron in front of me. One would have to stay very calm under water to undo 2 connections, one of which is velcro, but is buried behind your right hip next to your seat.

...and I cannot imagine a float tube in moving water. I've seen it, but no thanks...

-Mike
Old 02-10-2011, 01:57 PM

bm3moose is on a distinguished road

I've worn and been responsible for all the life saving equipment at my USCG unit. We use an inflatable system that is manually deployable rather than automatic. We also used a harness and tether system with a quick release for our machine gunners on our boats and in case of an overturn you had to be able to escape the tether. Manually inflating a pfd isn't a hard task in calm conditions but add in factors including improper wear or failed inflation and it becomes a whole new ball game. We've lost guys because of failed inflation so I would suggest becoming very familiar. Personally if I'm in the water in a vessel I'm jacketed up no matter what. All it takes is a split second and you are in the water.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:01 AM

dian11 is on a distinguished road

+1 Well done

Last edited by dian11; 01-12-2014 at 01:34 PM.