The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Everything Else

Everything Else Articles on casting, techniques and anything else you can think of.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default Fly Fisher Dies in Clark River

Canadian fly-fisherman apparently drowned
CLARK FORK -- A Canadian fly-fisherman died in the Clark Fork River Friday morning after his float tube overturned west of Cabinet Gorge, Bonner County Sheriff's officials say.The man was identified as Edward Stover, a 35-year-old from the province of Alberta. Stover apparently drowned and an autopsy is pending, Undersheriff Charlie Dennis said on Friday afternoon.

The incident happened at about 11 a.m. east of Clark Fork.Stover was pulled from the river at about 11:14 a.m. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation was initiated immediately and he was taken to Bonner General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, sheriff's officials say.

Dennis said Stover was fishing from a u-shaped float tube, commonly known as U-tubes or U-boats. Stover, who was safety belted into the float tube, tipped over and was unable to right himself.What caused Stover to tip over is still being investigated, Dennis said. Stover was not fishing by himself.

"Someone else in the party said they heard a splash and he was turned over upside down," said Dennis.Dennis said Stover had family on shore and there might have been another angler in the water when the tube capsized."I think the majority of them were on shore, but possibly there was one more in the water, but whether he was in the water when the guy turned over, we're not sure," he said.'

POST YOUR OPINION

Angler dies in Clark Fork River
Posted: Sunday, Jul 08, 2007 - 11:46:14 am PDT
By KEITH KINNAIRD
News editor
Bonner County Daily Bee
Bonner County Daily Bee - Your source for Sandpoint Idaho news and information
P.O. Box 159 / Sandpoint, Idaho 83864 / 208-263-9534

Old 07-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Fly Fisher Dies in Clark River

It is a shame than this fellow lost his life.

I have never heard of anyone being belted into a float tube. I suspect that the belted in part resulted in his drowning. Since it is a U-tube he could have learned over too far forward and flip over that way. Being belted in prevented he from fleeing the tube once it was inverted. A terrible thing.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:23 AM

Fishplease is on a distinguished road

At least he died doing what he loved. I'd rather die fishing that sitting in some retirement home waiting for it.
itchmesir likes this.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:31 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Frank, I agree. I suppose there might be some reason why someone might want to tether himself to his float (loss of float? need to keep floatation nearby?), but to belt himself in - that's hard to understand. Sounds like, as you surmised, that having been belted in, when the tube overturned, he couldn't right the tube nor release himself to get to air.

Relating to the thread discussion on PFDs, not sure they would have helped him either. I wouldn't think the buoyancy of a PFD would be enough to offset the float tube's greater buoyancy.

Really a sad story . . .
Old 07-11-2007, 12:22 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

wow what a freak accident. but In my opinion I say god has your name in a book and when its your time he checks you off the list. but Hey Fly fishing would be a good way to go but too bad he was strapped in tho? that had to be the cause of him drowning for sure. I would rather flip out of the float and not be belted in and lose the float. its wierd there was even a clip belt in there. maybe a tether that goes to a d-ring or something instead would be better idea just to keep u attached to the float but not keep u submerged if it flipped! i say lawsuit!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:49 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I have a friend who has a summer place on a big lake here in Idaho. He owns and fishes from several sit-on type float tubes. They're like a lawn chair with an inflatable semi circular pontoon. They're nice: you sit up high, you're mostly up out of the water, you don't have to worry so much about keeping the back cast angled up. All of my previous tubing was in sit-in type tubes. I'd had a couple of round tubes, and recently moved up to a U tube.
My friend was convinced that sit-in tubes were dangerous and that we couldn't possibly let kids use them because they'd surely have the same type of accident mentioned here. I couldn't convince him that, if this was a common problem, not only would we have heard about it, but the product would have been sued off the market.
The first half hour or so using his sit-on tube was very unnearving for me. I was accutely aware that there was nothing but gravity holding me and my craft together. How easy would it be to lean out of this thing and lose it to a gust of wind? I can see how someone might be tempted to fasten themselves to the tube.

P.S. My buddy thinks canoes are death traps.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:41 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Sad, I carry a knife that is easily accessed when I fish.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:32 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

+1 jcw-a sharp folder I can open with one hand attached with a quick release to the drawstring of my waders.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:06 PM

btlguide is on a distinguished road

I definitely wouldnt be belting myself into any kind of raft, life jacket is all you need in sketchy water. Ive seen guys be in the water for a few minutes in waders and life jacket and never had any problems with them filling up.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Unfortunate.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;