The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Everything Else

Everything Else Articles on casting, techniques and anything else you can think of.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2007, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default Waders - Which are Best For You

Waders - Which are Best For You

You already have your fly rod, your line, reel, and lures… do you really need any other fly fishing gear? Do you really need fly fishing waders? If you only fish in warm climates or during the summer, you may very well want to avoid investing in a pair of fly fishing waders. You may, instead, decide to get a pair of felt-bottomed sandals or boots, and then simply tolerate the refreshing chill of the water.

If, however, you tend to do most of your fly fishing in colder water or you simply do not want to get wet, then it can be worth buying a good pair of fly fishing waders. Of course, before you go out and buy a pair of fly fishing waders, note that it is better to not wade at all. Yes, it is sometimes necessary to get to certain good spots. But, overall, wading can destroy aquatic life that an important part of the diet of the very trout that you are trying to catch.

Getting the boot? Or putting a sock in it?
You must decide between bootfoot waders and stockingfoot fly fishing waders. The benefit of bootfoot waders is that the boot is built right into the waders, and you therefore will not have to go out and buy a separate set of river wading shoes. Stockingfoot fly fishing waders, on the other hand, do require a separate boot to go along with them. The benefit of these waders is that you have much more flexibility in the types of waders that you wear with different types of shoes and vice versa. Also, they can be turned inside out to dry.

Goldilocks and the three styles of fly fishing waders.
There are three common lengths of fly fishing waders. There are chest waders, waist waders, and hip waders. Goldilocks may try on a pair of Chest waders and decide that they are just to high and hard to get on and off. Although, they are great for wading into deeper waters. Then Goldilocks may try on a pair of hip waders. For her, although these fly fishing waders are easy to get on and off and are very comfortable, she wants to move into slightly less shallow water. When Goldilocks finally tries on waist waders, she realizes that they are just right.

A material matter.
One more consideration for buying fly fishing waders is “which material.” Neoprene is an excellent material waterproof material that is especially nice for colder waters. Of course, the problem with neoprene is that it is not very breathable. Breathable fly fishing waders are becoming more and more popular, made from high-tech materials like Gore-Tex. Such fabrics keep the water out, but allow your sweat escape.

Anne Clarke writes numerous articles for websites on gardening, parenting, fashion, and home decor. Her background includes teaching and gardening. For more of her articles on fly fishing, please visit Super Fly Fishing.
Article Source: Anne Clarke - EzineArticles.com Expert Author

Please Post Your Comments... Which Waders Are Best For You... And Why?

Old 07-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Waders - Which are Best For You

Well I think the best wader has a lot to do with where your are fishing. My favorite is my waist high Guides Model from Simms. Unfortunately they stop making them. There are definitely my choice for float fishing. They also are my choice for fishing the Colorado during the summer. Actually they are my choice for most summer fishing. At my age deep wading is not feasible and the waist high breathable wader helps keep me where I belong.

The neoprene wader is the best in very cold water and weather. Fall fishing in Alaska or winter Steelhead fishing in the North West calls for neoprene. I have use neoprene on the San Juan during May and glad to have them.

Bootfoot is the best for super cold water or if you are moving around in a car. I have used bootfoot for Steelhead fishing in Northern California where we drove between holes. I could remove the bootfoot in the car and relax with no waders on. When we got to another fishing spot it was quick to pull on the bootfoot wader.

Stockingfoot is great if you have a lot of hiking to reach you fishing spot. You can get a very good fit by selecting the correct wading boot.

Hip boots can be useful to fish swampy areas. Hip boots are the preferred footwear in Alaska for hunting. I have not used hip boots for fishing in the lower 48 except to launch my bass boat.