The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Everything Else

Everything Else Articles on casting, techniques and anything else you can think of.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By iulipwnz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 06:27 AM
iulipwnz

Default Fly fishing for bigginers - roll cast

The roll cast is a very efficient and effective cast and one you should absolutely know if you plan on fishing on creeks or streams. The primary purpose of the roll cast is to give you the ability to cast when a backcast is not possible. This may occur, for instance, if there are trees or bushes on either side or behind you. The roll cast is also effective when there is a stiff wind at your back or need to just quickly reset your fly.
The roll cast has evolved with the advent of the graphite rod. With older rods, like those made of fiberglass, it was more difficult to effectively load the rod. The roll cast was performed by raising the rod to a position slightly behind your ear and then quickly lowering the rod in the direction of the cast. Some describe the motion to that of “chopping a log.” A loop was formed and the line would feed out in front of you.
The graphite rod has made the roll cast fairly simple. With the line tight in front of you, lift the rod up to the one o’clock position (slightly behind your head). Then simply do a hard forward cast like you would do with an overhead cast. That’s it. The rod should load sufficiently to cast your fly in the direction you need. Don’t pause at the top position or the line will just pool in front of you.
What makes the roll cast work is the water surface tension on the line. This tension holds the line allowing you to load the rod during the forward cast. So, you will need to be near water to practice the roll cast.
jpbfly likes this.

Last edited by mcnerney; 05-21-2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Removed link to Blog!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:19 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fly fishing for bigginers - roll cast

I've been attempting to learn the roll cast in my backyard, before going onto the water, were I would completely embarrass myself. I've been trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, but your post tells me -Not enough friction n the line to properly load the rod! Now I HAVE to find some water after work today!!!!

Thank you for the post!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 05-21-2012, 07:36 AM
iulipwnz

No problem, Thanks :P

Last edited by mcnerney; 05-21-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Removed link to Blog!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

I agree, the roll cast is an extremely effective method of casting. As mentioned, friction is a large part of the roll cast. If you would like to add friction to fly set-up to make roll casting easier, try changing your leader. Myself along with a few others on this forum hand craft furled leaders. Whether you use one of ours, some one else’s or make one yourself, you will see a large improvement in your roll casting. Furled leaders are not for everyone, but there is no question that they do indeed help load the rod during a roll cast.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me, see below.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 04-27-2014, 07:09 PM

jw12 is on a distinguished road

While the roll cast is easy it definitely gets the job done. When I take a friend out who hasn't fly fished that is the first thing I show them