The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Everything Else

Everything Else Articles on casting, techniques and anything else you can think of.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2008, 09:43 PM

doc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Float Tubes - The Good, Bad, and Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyafishionado View Post
What if you have to pee and you are in your waders in the middle of the lake?
Most of us just head to shore and go. Some I know take a pop bottle with them so they don't have to leave their hot spot and then there are those soft catheters that were popular a few years back. It had a tube that ran down to a holding bottle attached to your leg. I had one but it was way to uncomfortable so I only used it a few times.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 06-15-2008, 12:48 AM

flyafishionado is on a distinguished road

Thanks Doc.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:05 PM

surfingmarmot is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the call of nature while in float tube

Usually, I just paddle to shore if close in--100 yards or so. But in some lakes, where there is a long kick out or lots of wind, I just wear an adult diaper. Lake Crowley South of Mammoth Lakes CA has a long kick out into McGee Bay through tenacious weeds. It can take a half an hour to an hour to go out and then get back in. The increased fishing time and hassle reduction are well worth it. NASA uses them for astronauts because it takes them hours to get into their suits. Sort of like waders, fins, and long kicks in a float tube. If adult diapers are good enough for NASA astronauts, they are good enough for me.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:23 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
I guess you're what I call S.O.L. And hope you're smart enough to take some extra pant along.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:43 PM

mikeo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Now that brings a new meaning to the phrase "float tubes"?!?!?
"Fly fishing is solitary, contemplative, misanthropic, scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with aesthetic considerations. It's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point." -John Gierach
Old 10-28-2008, 08:19 AM

surfingmarmot is on a distinguished road

If you have to pee and you are out in a float tube you have choices: 1) hold it and kick in (sucks if it s a long kick or you drank a lot of coffee that morning) or 2) do what NASA astronauts do--wear high absorbency adult diapers and drink all the liquids you what and fish on.

Like most people, I cringed when I first heard about people using them, but after hearing NASA astronauts use them for similar reasons and trying it, I realized its all perception and its about fishing time and convenience. I don't use them all the time--only when I know I'll be out more than 3-4 hours or if it is over a half and hour kick like Crowley Lake in the Eastern Sierra because every bathroom break takes over an hour of prime fishing time--and you usually get the urge just when the bite is on. Some people just cannot get themselves to use them and hold it and suffer or miss good fishing time--whatever. My mission is fishing and I use the equipment necessary to maximize success.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:04 AM

mikeo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingmarmot View Post
If you have to pee and you are out in a float tube you have choices: 1) hold it and kick in (sucks if it s a long kick or you drank a lot of coffee that morning) or 2) do what NASA astronauts do--wear high absorbency adult diapers and drink all the liquids you what and fish on.

Like most people, I cringed when I first heard about people using them, but after hearing NASA astronauts use them for similar reasons and trying it, I realized its all perception and its about fishing time and convenience. I don't use them all the time--only when I know I'll be out more than 3-4 hours or if it is over a half and hour kick like Crowley Lake in the Eastern Sierra because every bathroom break takes over an hour of prime fishing time--and you usually get the urge just when the bite is on. Some people just cannot get themselves to use them and hold it and suffer or miss good fishing time--whatever. My mission is fishing and I use the equipment necessary to maximize success.
Now that is "dedication" to fishing!!!!!
"Fly fishing is solitary, contemplative, misanthropic, scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with aesthetic considerations. It's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point." -John Gierach
Old 10-31-2008, 04:18 PM

flyafishionado is on a distinguished road

Thanks surfingmarmot.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:23 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I never had to deal with inimical creatures in the water, but here's my tubing nightmare: Round boat, deep cold water, way off shore. Say your foot gets tangled in some of that heavy mono the hardware guys like. You can't reach it to cut it. Your only choice is to unbuckle and drop out of the bottom of the tube...
Old 12-19-2010, 09:42 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I purchased the Super Fat Cat two years ago and it is the greatest tube i Have owned. The inflatable seat is a really nice feature and it weighs I think only 12 or 14 lbs.