The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Everything Else

Everything Else Articles on casting, techniques and anything else you can think of.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2015, 10:45 AM

deanb10s is on a distinguished road
Default Prescription sunglasses

I'm looking for advice for fly fishing specific Rx sunglasses. Do most of you use gray or amber tint? What brands would you recommend? This is going to be a high $ investment (about the price of a Sage One) so I need your help. Thanks
Old 04-15-2015, 02:50 PM

dwtalso has a spectacular aura aboutdwtalso has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Prescription sunglasses

My current pair and my previous pair are/were Rayban frames. They've been rugged, lightweight, and worked well.

I prefer gray tint on mine. I like a darker feel than amber gives me.

Be sure to order polarizing, and make it clear that you want polarizing. The folks I've met who write those orders tend to confuse anti-glare with polarizing and they are very different.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:55 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

amber tint, polarized, and I had them build in a 3x bifocal so I could better see to tie on my flies. normal bifocal is 2x they tell me, so I asked the doc to write it for extra strong.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:51 AM

alexs will become famous soon enough

I don't like grey. Definitely amber for me, but I would even go to yellow or (I've heard) pink. Supposedly pinkish lenses give a great definition to under-water objects...
I think I'd like a pair of Smith Optics Chromapop Ignitors (prescription), when my finances will allow... Here is a link:
Smith Frontman Sunglasses Chromapop Collections: Smith Optics Elite Site

I found that I don't need dark lenses if I ware a hat with all-around brim. Baseball style caps don't work as well, at least for me.

Cheers,
Alex
Old 04-16-2015, 10:41 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

On the cheap and excellent: Cocoon's. They're about 40-50 bucks and very good optics. Cocoons Eyewear - Fitover Sunglasses and Low Vision UV Filters The wide ear frames are the way to go as they really block 'side glare' from the sun or water.
jpbfly likes this.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Got both colors of polaroid prescription glasses I use the gray ones more often,but don't know exactly why...I don't remember paying the price of a Sage one
Old 04-16-2015, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Bear with this explanation and maybe it will be helpful

I've worn a contact lens since 1980 so that I could use fish finder glasses and that was a good system. However I realize not everyone can or likes to wear a contact. I always had to carry a pair of reading magnifiers with me because the contact corrected my vision for seeing fish out there in the river but once I was working up close with a knot I had trouble focusing.

Problem was that with glasses I could see at distances fine and by looking under or over them my up close vision was great too. So where's the problem? If I wanted Rx polarized glasses I would still have to carry a pair of clear lens for low light and after dark......... Carrying an extra pair of glasses or sunglasses is just one of those things that works great until something goes wrong. So I stuck to my long wear contacts and readers until 2 years ago. In the meantime I went through plenty of readers, broken & lost were the primary causes for replacement.

2 seasons back I discovered that I could get a pair of very small Rx in a frame by Oakley. Super light & small enough to look over or under when tying knot etc. The real surprise was that I could get a photo chromatic lens with polarization layer also. The polarizing quality for spotting fish is not quite as good as a pair of dedicated fish finders but they work well enough for me to be able to spot fish and see my flies on the swing in most situations. They are clear when it's dark or raining but even then the polarizing properties work. No 2 pair of glasses, no readers, and I wore them on all the fishing trips last season.

If you are going to spend a bunch of money on a pair of glasses this may be something to consider. They are good for fishing and good for everything else also.

If you are going to fish salt water then a pair of Cocoons like Fred suggested will get it done and you can save a bunch on your Rx glasses.
alexs likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-16-2015, 06:45 PM

ts47 is a jewel in the roughts47 is a jewel in the roughts47 is a jewel in the rough

If you are looking for regular style sunglasses, there was a long thread a few months ago. I just ran a search under the "Tackle Talk" > "Other Gear" forum for prescription sunglasses. I found it and several others. I'm hoping the search results show up when you click here: The North American Fly Fishing Forum - Search Results

If not, just go to that forum and search "prescription sunglasses".

For my part, I had a grey pair of Zeiss lenses that I'm pretty sure were some type of plastic ($500) that were great. It was like seeing in HD. I currently own a pair of brown that came from Costco, a discount warehouse if they are not in your area, ($200) that are not that great. I'm not sure the color had anything to do with it. It's more the sharpness (quality) of the lens that seems to be the problem. I also had a mirror coating added to the cheaper pair that was apparently a mistake. I do STRONGLY recommend you get the anti-reflective coating. It won't affect your vising. It will stop things from reflecting off the glasses though. It's a real pain standing in the water trying to focus on something and realizing you are focusing on a reflected image rather that what you were intending to look at. Hope this make sense...

My prescription is for progressives. I use a lanyard when I wear them and have not had a problem fishing or tying on flies in them.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:54 PM

deanb10s is on a distinguished road

Great info guys, thanks.