The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fiberglass Fly Rods

Fiberglass Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fiberglass fly rods...

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2017, 12:20 PM

flyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Glass vs Graphite

Karstopo, I've been looking at Epic 888 Fastglass and Livingston Rod Company just announced an 8wt for the flats.

Waiting to see a comparison ...the Bad A$$ has a lot of followers also.
karstopo likes this.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:11 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

I was always a Sage fan. As they progressed to faster and faster action designs I became less interested in their lines and looked to glass for a different pace. I found it in a couple of glass blanks by Steffen Bros. and a favourite of mine, by Kabuto of Japan. I turned to a highly regarded and very talented builder by the name of George Minculete of Tightloops to build both. The Kabuto is a 4 wt. and the Steffens is a 4/5 wt. Top quality and a pleasure to cast. I am sold on glass for the type of fishing that I do, small streams, rivers and small flies. My RPLs and Zenith rarely see water any more.
karstopo likes this.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:55 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

This is my latest glass and it's of unknown origin. No text or stickers. Custom build.
It's 9'3" and I'm assuming that it's a 10wt. although I haven't test cast it yet
Unusual stainless sleeve (over glass butt) ferrule.
Balances well with that System2 10/11
$20.
Looking forward to it being my new favorite

Click the image to open in full size.
cochise, troutnut4 and karstopo like this.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 03-18-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:54 PM

cab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud ofcab has much to be proud of

Had I tried to make that vid, you'd have to cut my head out of the knot.....

Glass or no,
CAB
mka, ia_trouter and karstopo like this.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:14 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
Had I tried to make that vid, you'd have to cut my head out of the knot.....

Glass or no,
CAB
Tim is the Bob Ross of fly casting.

"today we are going to cast all our fly rods at once... you're gonna be awesome and we will be so happy"

markfrid, cab and karstopo like this.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:39 PM

shifty242 has a spectacular aura aboutshifty242 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyminded View Post
Karstopo, I've been looking at Epic 888 Fastglass
flyminded, I own the Epic 888 and really enjoy it. The challenge with Swift is that very few shops (that I know of) carry their rods, so getting to cast one prior to purchase will be difficult provided you do not live in New Zealand. It was a leap of faith for me...and now I own the 888, the 580 and the gem of their line-up, the 686.

https://swiftflyfishing.com/
I believe they are offering a shipping deal in March...
runningfish and karstopo like this.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:28 AM

chames15 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty242 View Post
flyminded, I own the Epic 888 and really enjoy it. The challenge with Swift is that very few shops (that I know of) carry their rods, so getting to cast one prior to purchase will be difficult provided you do not live in New Zealand. It was a leap of faith for me...and now I own the 888, the 580 and the gem of their line-up, the 686.

https://swiftflyfishing.com/
I believe they are offering a shipping deal in March...
Hey shifty, what are your thoughts on the 686? I have been doing quite a bit of research and was thinking about wrapping my own. My initial thought with the rod was a streamer set up for her in CO to go along with my nymph/ dry dropper rod. I also do a fair amount of bass and warm water fishing around town and figured it would be a good fit for that application as well.

- sorry to hijack the thread.
karstopo likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:01 AM

cerec_cat has a spectacular aura aboutcerec_cat has a spectacular aura about

You guys should really check out Livingston Rod co, I really enjoy their glass rods.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:13 AM

runningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to behold

flyminded, I built Epic 888 and used it for bass and reds down in Florida. I think the 888 is not just a myth or a mere good reviews. It a very good rod, so accurate for short and far cast. It generates good line speed and turns bass bugs easily. If you are building it, spline it and put the guides on the belly and use a large size tip top.
The only Epic that I have left is 686 3pcs a very good one too.....I sold the 888...I couldn't resist the offer.

I don't know about Dusty's Livingston rod, he just started his business about 1.5 years ago. But I heard good things about his rods; and Dusty will answer your questions about rod building or about his rods.
flyminded and karstopo like this.
Old Today, 08:46 PM

shifty242 has a spectacular aura aboutshifty242 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chames15 View Post
Hey shifty, what are your thoughts on the 686? I have been doing quite a bit of research and was thinking about wrapping my own. My initial thought with the rod was a streamer set up for her in CO to go along with my nymph/ dry dropper rod. I also do a fair amount of bass and warm water fishing around town and figured it would be a good fit for that application as well. - sorry to hijack the thread.
I receivd it toward the end of last year and my first outing with it was last month. It handled a nymph rig easily. I'm willing to bet it will do the same with a streamer set up and a bass lures. If you visit the fiberglass flyrod forum, there are many posts on the 686 offering far more information than I can provide!

I'm going to Kauai next week and I was considering taking it for fishing on the flats, but I think the 888 will be a much better option.