The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fiberglass Fly Rods

Fiberglass Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fiberglass fly rods...

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2017, 07:02 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Glass vs Graphite

Old 03-17-2017, 07:19 AM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glass vs Graphite

Thanks Rip, I enjoyed that. Tim Rajeff is an outstanding instructor. That was one of the more concise explanations I have heard on the subject.
mcnerney and karstopo like this.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:31 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Pal

Thanks for sharing that video, it was great!

Old 03-17-2017, 10:59 AM

karstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of light

That was an excellent video! Did you catch how he uses Fiberglass rods more than graphite? I would have never guessed that. Thanks for sharing.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:09 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
Did you catch how he uses Fiberglass rods more than graphite?.
I certainly did catch that.
I fish glass the majority of the time as well.
mcnerney, troutnut4 and karstopo like this.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:18 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

My friend Rod (aka rodneybo) also fishes with glass most of the time, if not always.
karstopo likes this.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:31 AM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

I got caught up in the forum hype and had to order a Cabela's CGR. What a fun little rod for small water, and my least expensive. I was amazed how light it is. Glass may or may not be limited in it's capabilities going forward vs graphite, but it sure has a place in my game now.
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:39 AM

flyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to beholdflyminded is a splendid one to behold

I find myself spending more time looking at and reading about glass these days than I do the new offerings from the usual suspects.

It seems to me that some of the workmanship going into some of the glass rods is bordering on art .... next up an 8wt for Reds and Bonefish.
mcnerney, troutnut4 and karstopo like this.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:14 AM

karstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyminded View Post
I find myself spending more time looking at and reading about glass these days than I do the new offerings from the usual suspects.

It seems to me that some of the workmanship going into some of the glass rods is bordering on art .... next up an 8wt for Reds and Bonefish.
I'm halfway looking for something in that weight range for inshore work here in Texas. I like my 7-8 Cableas CGR well enough, but maybe there is something better in fiberglass for the salt with larger stripping guides? I see Echo makes a bad a$$ glass now. Anyone have any experience with that rod?
Old 03-18-2017, 10:52 AM

huronfly is just really nicehuronfly is just really nicehuronfly is just really nicehuronfly is just really nice

Out of 10+ rods that I own only two are glass, yet they are what I use for 90% of my fishing. Most of my fishing is either big water for steel or tiny creeks for little wild trout, so they spey and 3 weight cover those nicely, next up I'm thinking about ditching the graphite pike/musky rod for an echo bad ass glass... soon ill have to start selling my graphites that don't see the water as much