The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fiberglass Fly Rods

Fiberglass Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fiberglass fly rods...

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy old glass rods?
Love them 8 57.14%
Hate them 0 0%
Brings back fond memories 4 28.57%
Never tried them 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2017, 04:58 PM

napawino is on a distinguished road
Default A Few Wonderods. Oldies.

I get a big kick out of old glass rods.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by napawino; 05-09-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:27 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A couple Wonderods. One old, one older.

I have around 20 old glass rods but very few are in the condition of those that you've posted pictures of lately
That's mostly because I have a spending limit. $30
I can buy a rod for $20 or $25, play with it for a while and then get another

There's plenty that might make better tomato stakes, but the majority are well worth owning
For instance, the rod here with the LLBean label is actually an H-I build from the 1950s
It throws a full line without even trying

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:56 AM

I know my poll is rather silly, asking people in the glass forum if they like glass rods. It's like asking people in Utah if they like string beans.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:00 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: A couple Wonderods. One old, one older.

I even have a couple of 'glass' spey rods; both of them could halt a run-away horse.

fae
Old 04-29-2017, 12:48 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by napawino View Post
I know my poll is rather silly, asking people in the glass forum if they like glass rods. It's like asking people in Utah if they like string beans.
I think an interesting poll would be if there could only be one rod material they could fish with would it be:
1. Bamboo
2. Fiberglass
3. Graphite
My choice would be graphite since it has the potential to cover all rod rod weights and rod lengths. Fortunately we are not limited and can choose what pleases us.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-29-2017, 01:46 PM

For me, it's a bit of a nostalgia trip. I never fished a graphite rod until I was an adult. My younger years were full of Fenwicks, Shakespeares, and Eagle Claw rods. Some fly rods, and some spinning rods.

When I was 12 I caught a 48lb king salmon off the coast of Neah Bay, WA using a Fenwick fly rod. I won the Boeing fishing derby in Seattle one year, using an Eagle Claw salmon rod. I think I was probably 8 or 9 when I caught a 4lb rainbow out of the Potholes Reservoir in eastern WA using a Wonderod. So glass rods hold LOTS of great memories for me.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:48 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by napawino View Post
For me, it's a bit of a nostalgia trip. I never fished a graphite rod until I was an adult. My younger years were full of Fenwicks, Shakespeares, and Eagle Claw rods. Some fly rods, and some spinning rods.

When I was 12 I caught a 48lb king salmon off the coast of Neah Bay, WA using a Fenwick fly rod. I won the Boeing fishing derby in Seattle one year, using an Eagle Claw salmon rod. I think I was probably 8 or 9 when I caught a 4lb rainbow out of the Potholes Reservoir in eastern WA using a Wonderod. So glass rods hold LOTS of great memories for me.
Notice your from/at Lk. Stevens; tonne of great memories of the lake as a teenager. Good friends family owned a '2nd home right on the lake. Boat dock, fast boat for water skiing, etc. Bunch of us darned near lived there much of the summer.

fae
Old 04-29-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Notice your from/at Lk. Stevens; tonne of great memories of the lake as a teenager. Good friends family owned a '2nd home right on the lake. Boat dock, fast boat for water skiing, etc. Bunch of us darned near lived there much of the summer.

fae
I've lived here only a couple of years. Haven't fish it much. But I did catch a pretty huge largemouth last summer, right from shore on the north end of the lake.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:11 PM

Old 04-30-2017, 08:33 PM

And one from the early 70's.

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

And a green one.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by napawino; 05-09-2017 at 03:52 PM.