The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Flies for Alaska

Flies for Alaska Questions about flies required or used in Alaska.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 09:00 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pattern Productivity, What Works;

Wow, those are some very nice looking flies and I like that they have been tested. I've never tried flies that style, makes me think I need to start learning.

Thanks for posting them.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi William, you're welcome and thank you right back

The original Nine Three pattern or the variations I make of it have been catching trout and salmon for me since I first started tying it circa 1979 - 80. If you learn to tie and fish feather wing streamers you won't go back to any other type of wet fly. They are like fishing with spinners except you feel like you've accomplished something because they're just feathers. The hit you get is similar to a fish stopping a spinner on the retrieve.

I've been a dedicated streamer fisher for almost 20 years now. I became an opportunistic dry fly guy and still use them but the streamer is my favorite way to fish for larger trout or salmon.

Ard

PS. Check the Flies For Alaska Salmon & Steelhead thread in the Alaska forums, there you can find many wild looking patterns that you can talk a fish into hitting. Flies for AK. Salmon & Steelhead Fishing

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-20-2011, 09:39 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Ard,

Been searching for the flies thread but havent been able to find it, and i particularly like the Nine Three...do you have a pattern on the forums for that fly?

Addicted To Vise
Old 09-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I pasted the link on the bottom of my last post.........................

If you use the pattern I call Spey Dress for trout, I would put the materials on a Partridge Bartleet #4 or 6. That is the hook I'm using for trout and it will hole fish up to 10 pound and over while not injuring a small fish.

Flies for AK. Salmon & Steelhead Fishing

Old 09-20-2011, 10:26 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Ard

The Nine Three reminds me of a streamer I am having some success with. Looking at yours gives me ideas where I can make improvements, not copying, but a better understanding of what is missing.

There are many reasons why we tie flys and posts like this and others who contribute, bring information to this forum that normally would take a lifetime (if ever) to learn.

Thanks

Dave
Old 09-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Dave,

Copy away buddy, that is why I put the fly on the forum. It works like a charm for me and my wish is that others use it and have the same success.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:55 AM
Administrator

This fly, from page 2 of 'Flies for Alaska Salmon & Steelhead' caught 9 salmon today and didn't come apart. Todays date: September 20, 2011, there is still a good month of fishing left before cold becomes a problem. I'm going to keep fishing for one of our big rainbow trout until the ice makes me quit. When you look at the second fish on this thread you may understand how it's hard to know when you are seeing a trout or if you're looking at a semi fresh silver / coho salmon.

Orange Cross;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Not all were this dark but this one shows the fly, I was hunting for rainbow trout / steelhead and there are some here. the problem is that they are hanging around the salmon and you can't keep the salmon off your fly. Imagine that! It's for real, I could have caught many many more salmon but if I can see one start chasing the fly I speed it away from them. If I were to let every one that goes after the fly grab it I would not be doing much trout hunting.

I also took 4 more on the Black Heron today;

One of the fish that grabbed the Black Heron Spey fly;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 09-21-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Most recently the Jock O' Dee (from the Salmon Fly Tie Along thread) and The Red Head (found in the Flies for Salmon & Steelhead thread) are winning the days, I'll be fishing a Red Head tomorrow............

Old 10-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Taken on the Red Head along with many other fish on the same pattern this fall;

The fly;

Yes, I'm pushing the fancy flies for use where ever you are fishing cold water trout, steelhead, and salmon. The jury is back, the verdict is in, the flies catch fish. Now I know you can catch fish on a woolly bugger but making something that pretty and then seeing a fish grab hold of it puts you near the top of the enjoyment scale for sure.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:16 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Alaskan Pattern Productivity, What Works;

Alright Ard, I had to BS some mats on this one, but here's my attempt at your Orange Amnesia. I got a bag of salmon hooks so I had to have a go. I may be going out in the morning and there should be salmon running where I'm at, so I figured I'd borrow some patterns from the master! Unfortunately my assortment of feathers is lacking, so I can't take a shot at the starling feather patterns, and my flank-wrapping-fu is severely lacking.
Click the image to open in full size.
What do I need to improve? And what other patterns should I tie? There should be steel, browns, and salmon in the water tomorrow.

And this is what a 9-3 looks like tied by a novice with no starling feathers and no step-by-step
Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Last edited by gatortransplant; 10-27-2011 at 07:20 PM.