The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Flies for Alaska

Flies for Alaska Questions about flies required or used in Alaska.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 12:55 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Alaskan Pattern Productivity, What Works;

Hi Aj,

I can tell you from experience, you are way ahead of the game if you find a woman who actually enjoys fishing as opposed to not liking it. The only thing I have to be considerate of is that I need to pick up those little hand warmer and toe warmer things for in her waders and gloves. As long as she is warm she'll fish all day.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Another year for 'Pattern Productivity' is about to begin. I am planning on fishing the kings with the same flies; Skykomish Sunrise, AK. Assassin, and the Freight Train. Before you know it you'll have to put up with more big grins and a few fish pictures.

For my trout and grayling fishing I'll stay the course with the 'Ard's Nine Three Spey' and the Jock O' Dee, I'm expecting a good year

Old 04-27-2012, 11:04 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Looking forward to seeing your progress this year Ard! Love seeing those AK fish with featherwing streamers planted in their jaws

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-03-2012, 08:12 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I have a dumb AK salmon question:

Why are salmon flies so gaudy?
Do salmon take any 'natural' looking flies?
Are there any naturals(minnows or otherwise) that are as bright as the flies used?
Is it just a high water thing?
Supposedly lake run salmon in CO are also attracted to red and pink, although I have not had any luck.

I am always amazed by the extra colorful salmon patterns... The local fish would bolt upon seeing something that bright. Are the salmon only keyed on bright things? Or just keyed on the spawn, eggs, and bright colors in general? Always wondered, it looks liker a ton of fun spey casting big bright streamers.
TB
Old 05-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Hi Tevis,

The general or accepted belief is that once the fish enter into the fresh water and their final stages of sexual maturity they are no longer eating as a means of gathering additional proteins / caloric energy for continued growth. The biochemistry changes and the brain sort of reprograms with the imprint of memories of the scent and chemical properties of the natal waters of each individual. There is believed to be a certain level of geomagnetic influence involved in their migratory patterns while in the oceans also, but that isn't what you ask.

Food & Spawning:
Even though the fish undergoes many changes as they enter the final stage of life the behavior learned in the years at sea or in a large lake are not completely expunged from the brain. When you fish close to the lake or ocean they seem much more aggressive as they are just beginning the transition from the feeding - growth way of life they are accustomed to. As they continue their journey up a river or creek the continuing development of the reproductive organs and components require all sorts of changes not the least of which is hormonal. By the time they are in the river for a week or 2 they have moved even farther away from that 'eat to live' way of life that they have known since birth. Think of it like this; fish have no sense of time so the physiological changes that they undergo are all that there is in their lives at any given moment.

The bright and gaudy colored flies are the predators best play to draw the attention of the fish in hopes of triggering that instinct to grab small things that swim. Dark or natural colored flies work well also but you have to get these a bit closer for reasons of visibility. The exception to this 'trying to get them to strike' occurs once they have established spawning beds and are actively engaged in defending every inch of territory. While they are especially vulnerable at this time there are 2 important reasons why this is not a good time or place to target them. By the time salmon begin the actual bedding and spawning actions their bodies have degraded to such a significant level that they no longer will make suitable table fare. The second of the important reason is that this is now the nursery water and continued disturbance of the fish although it may not completely interrupt the spawn, in some cases it will. When stressed at this point males will release their milt and females may release the eggs.

There are times when I am trout fishing using trout tackle and while not targeting salmon will catch fish that are well into the spawning ritual. Almost always the fish are subordinate males who have been forced away from the spawning site by the dominate male. I do not knowingly swing flies over beds, I fish behind or above visible fish searching for trout who hang around with them. No matter whether you are looking to catch these subordinates or not, it happens. Actually it happens so often that I can say that these fish are so aggressive that they can't be kept from a fly. At this time color of the fly does not need to be considered, dark, light, no difference.

Most or perhaps all of the lake run fish in the Colorado area are land locked sockeye salmon. These fish are notorious as being hard to draw to a fly whether in Alaska or in a land locked system in the lower 48. My best advice is to be as close to the mouth of rivers and creeks that get these fish and try to present bait-fish imitations to them before they get 50 miles and 2 weeks into the rivers. It would have been better to set you up with silver / Coho salmon perhaps.

I don't know if I answered the question or not. I just started typing, the information I offer is based on several sources. What I have read, what I have seen, and what I've actually done - learned hands on. Bottom line = some species are just more likely to grab a fly than others. You may find it interesting that trout here will grab a Skykomish Sunrise or Freight Train as readily as they will a good Sculpin imitation. I hope all this proves either helpful or at least interesting.

Ard

Old 12-16-2012, 03:13 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

I can see that I have some work to do prior to the 2014 trip to Alaska.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Administrator

No worries, I have plenty of feathers & hooks.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:51 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Getting ready is half of the enjoyment. Thanks Ard.