The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Flies for Alaska

Flies for Alaska Questions about flies required or used in Alaska.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Alaskan Pattern Productivity, What Works;

Since the Alaska Forum threads are only about a year old I have pasted a bunch of salmon and trout patterns onto the 'Flies' thread. I admit many of the patterns remain unproven because I am only one man and I can only fish one fly at a time. I tend not to change a pattern when it is putting fish on the bank.

I am going to list the patterns that in the seasons that I have been using them have accounted for at least 25 or more fish. Recipes for the flies pictured can be found in the stickies and patterns that are not on this thread either remain untested or under 25 fish.

The #1 Trout & Steelhead producer, Ard's Nine Three;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Swift deep water, The Orange Bunny Comet;

Swift & Deep on rainy day's and at first light, The Rainy Day Special;

More moderate flows, Orange Amnesia;

Silvers, The Bush Doctor;

Trout & Char, The Spey Ghost;

Trout, Char & Salmon, The Alaskan Lady;

Trout & Char, The Red Head;

Sockeye & Kings, Skykomish Sunrise;

Freight Train;

Trout, Signal Light;

Trout & Silvers, The Kuntz Killer Egg;

#1 All species, The Santiam Spectrum;

Silver Salmon, Egg Sucking Leach;

Those are the flies that I have been using. many of the other patterns have caught fish but not to the extent that they became remarkable. This is another year to try some new ties and I will see what works and what sorta works

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 06-12-2013 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:04 PM

rrarods is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pattern Productivity, What Works;

I am definatly getting some of those! Any selections for grayling?

Custom Rods You Can Afford to Fish
www.rollingriveranglers.com
Old 06-15-2011, 12:31 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

ard,
awesome flies! the spey flies are exceptional

casey

ARFE
Old 06-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking Ard will be adding a new one to the selection soon.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 06-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

This will catch fish, tied on a size 2/0 hook and swung through holding water it has been a good morning fly for king salmon. I have had a wonderful three days with the fly in the picture.

AK. Assassin;

Hook: 2/0 for Kings
Tail: Two bunch's of hackle fibers one hot pink and one chartreuse
Butt: Chartreuse synthetic chenille
Body: Pink synthetic chenille
Underwing: Pink crystal flash, Make it long and lay it along the body
Wing: Opaque white poly yarn
Top: More pink crystal flash don't be afraid to make it long enough so it will trail the fly.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 05-12-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrarods View Post
I am definatly getting some of those! Any selections for grayling?
For grayling stay small whether you cast dry flies or wets. For dries I use 14 & 16, wets are tied down to # 10. They will take darn near anything as long as it's small enough to fit the mouth.

Sorry to be so long in answering you here, I just saw this question.

PS. Add a little bunch of blue crystal flash to the wing on the Freight Train and they seem to work a little better on rainy days.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Administrator

This rendition of the Freight Train has been the fly for sockeye & chum this season. I have added some Crystal Flash as an under wing, changed the wing to bear hair, and placed a thorax of dubbed blue / purple sparkle material directly behind the wing material. The gob of dubbing helps keep the wing & hackle bulging out a bit when the fly is fishing and I believe the fatter profile helps.

Tied on a Diiachi 2051 size 1.5
Tail: Dyed hackle purple
Body: Rear half is golden yellow floss, front half red silk floss
Rib: Silver tinsel
Thorax: Blended dubbing - blue & purple sparkle dub
Under wing: Blue purple Crystal Flash
Wing: White hair
Hackle: Dyed Shlapplin purple

This was the first sockeye of the season, caught 4 weeks ago. The fly from the picture is the one in the fishes jaw.

More on the same fly, all males;

Chum salmon have been plentiful and here's a nice fresh one hooked to the freight Train also. All together the pattern has landed in the vicinity of 35 - 40 sockeye and probably the same number of chum.

Whether you plan for Alaska or the Great Lakes rivers this pattern may be a good choice for your box.

Ard

Old 08-09-2011, 10:24 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Ard, I will be having a go at tying some of these as soon as I get home and have access to a vise and materials... credit card balance be damned

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-09-2011, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Ard...hope you'll show me how to tie one of these beautiful flies...and also eat one of these salmon togetherBy the way never told me if you caught any with the Alaskan Tsarina....I guess no
Old 09-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Administrator

For those who don't mind tying something a little on the fancy side of life..................

Fishing Saturday and Sunday (September 17 & 18, 2011) I used one fly, the same for both days. Ard's Nine Three Spey Dress tied on a #4 partridge Bartleet hook. The fly landed one dozen salmon and 5 trout. I will finish the season with this fly and a Santiam Spectrum (I'll use the Spectrum if the Kenai ever drops from semi flood stage )

This fly will catch trout or salmon anywhere;

IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

The fly pictured is on a heavy iron, the Bartleet is a better low water or fine wire hook for this pattern. i don't know what they think it is but it works well.

Ard