The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Flies for Alaska

Flies for Alaska Questions about flies required or used in Alaska.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Bead Fishing in Fly Fishing Only Water

Hi,

Actually that fly is best for trout and char in the fall, I don't recall ever catching a salmon on the pattern. Tie time isn't really bad, the wing is a whole dyed mallard flank so there's no time spent setting wings. You just wrap the body add some hair, twist the collar and tie that flank on top. The head paint goes over the cement after it dries. I don't know what fish think that is, maybe they really don't think it's anything. I do know that it's a fly and that they will work

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-13-2013, 03:27 PM

akruss will become famous soon enough

The fly reminds me of one of Mike Hirschberger's (sp?) he called Fred the Red or some such thing. It worked well on reds, as the name implies. Mike had the Orvis shop in Anchorage years ago and was a really great guy.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Russ,

No Orvis shop there any more, Mountain View handles some Orvis inventory but isn't an Orvis franchise. I call the fly Red Head and they were just a product of my having time & materials. If that fellow tied like that and fished them too we probably would have hit it off. I've met a lot of fellows who tie decent flies but fish with plastic, I'm guessing they either have no confidence in fly fishing or they desperately want to catch fish.

I've never used the Red Head and been skunked, below is the first fish taken with one.
Click the image to open in full size.

Not a bad start, that day the fly caught a bunch
akruss likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;