The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Flies and Fly Boxes Classifieds

Like Tree126Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 08:40 PM

tx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The 2014 "Fly Box 80" Collections...

Jerry, put me down for at least a box, email coming soon.
mcnerney and labradorguy like this.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:48 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

tx_newb...

I'll set a pair of boxes aside for you... just in case you have the need...

Now, for your question, Jason... Some of the finest things about the sport of fly fishing, at least in my mind, are the traditions. The traditions can be as simple as an "Opening Day" fly rod that's reserved for that special outing, or as intensely personal as a singular fly that carries with it a backstory filled with a great deal of a man's own history.

For me, there's never a question as to what fly will be tied to the end of my tippet, come the early hours of the Opener. The business end of my set-up will carry an Adams, tied parachute style and in size #14. I could be hip deep in hatches that run counter to that choice, and the Adams would still be the first fly of the season. It was THE fly of my late elders-- traditionally tied in their day --and an Adams is still my "go-to" fly, only in 'chute form more often than not. Besides, it was the fly that started off a 50+ year love affair with fly fishing for an 8-year old boy many years ago, one that continues today...

When the 2014 season kicks off next month, I will make a small addition to my rituals of the Opener, in that I will change flies mid-stream and fish a traditional Light Cahill a few hours after "first light." And, it will come from a very special box that can always be found residing in the left chest pocket of my favorite fly vest. In it, I carry a collection of the last flies of my late daughters, Lauren and Laramie, and some of the Cahill patterns-- Light & Dark --of one Ms Emily. Carrying that box allows me to fish with them all again, and to remember... One day in the all-too-near future, the Cahills will be some of Ms Emily's last flies as well...

One last thought on this Monday morning... I want to thank you, Jason and Larry, for your kudos regarding "my kids" and our classes. It's nice to hear, though recognition has never been my goal. I do what I do because the grandparents who raised me were people of conviction, compassion and follow-through, and I'm thankful that a little of them spilled over into me. Because of them, I've never started something that I didn't finish. Besides, I made a promise to our youngest daughter before she lost her battle with leukemia that the classes would continue until my own health failed. I don't break my promises, either...

So ends my long-winded answer... Be well, guys, and set a hook for yours truly whenever you can...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
mcnerney, jbird and labradorguy like this.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I took a photo of Jerry's 2014 "Fly Box 80" collection for the CFR and PHW fly donation thread and thought I would post his two fly box donation here as well so you can see the beautiful work that he does, and best of all it goes to a great cause. Just realize that the photo is only showing one side of a two sided box.
Click the image to open in full size.

Larry
cochise and labradorguy like this.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:23 AM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairwing530 View Post
tx_newb...

I'll set a pair of boxes aside for you... just in case you have the need...

Now, for your question, Jason... Some of the finest things about the sport of fly fishing, at least in my mind, are the traditions. The traditions can be as simple as an "Opening Day" fly rod that's reserved for that special outing, or as intensely personal as a singular fly that carries with it a backstory filled with a great deal of a man's own history.

For me, there's never a question as to what fly will be tied to the end of my tippet, come the early hours of the Opener. The business end of my set-up will carry an Adams, tied parachute style and in size #14. I could be hip deep in hatches that run counter to that choice, and the Adams would still be the first fly of the season. It was THE fly of my late elders-- traditionally tied in their day --and an Adams is still my "go-to" fly, only in 'chute form more often than not. Besides, it was the fly that started off a 50+ year love affair with fly fishing for an 8-year old boy many years ago, one that continues today...

When the 2014 season kicks off next month, I will make a small addition to my rituals of the Opener, in that I will change flies mid-stream and fish a traditional Light Cahill a few hours after "first light." And, it will come from a very special box that can always be found residing in the left chest pocket of my favorite fly vest. In it, I carry a collection of the last flies of my late daughters, Lauren and Laramie, and some of the Cahill patterns-- Light & Dark --of one Ms Emily. Carrying that box allows me to fish with them all again, and to remember... One day in the all-too-near future, the Cahills will be some of Ms Emily's last flies as well...

One last thought on this Monday morning... I want to thank you, Jason and Larry, for your kudos regarding "my kids" and our classes. It's nice to hear, though recognition has never been my goal. I do what I do because the grandparents who raised me were people of conviction, compassion and follow-through, and I'm thankful that a little of them spilled over into me. Because of them, I've never started something that I didn't finish. Besides, I made a promise to our youngest daughter before she lost her battle with leukemia that the classes would continue until my own health failed. I don't break my promises, either...

So ends my long-winded answer... Be well, guys, and set a hook for yours truly whenever you can...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Hey Jerry,

I read the boys your answer to their questions. It appears that you've created two new Adams fans. They've both picked out the Adams they want to start their trout season with. As for me, I'm going to fish a Light Cahill till I catch the first trout of the year. If you and Ms. Emily could send a couple my way with the third box, it would be much appreciated.

Take care my friend and thank you for taking the time to answer their questions. -Jason
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:58 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

Great looking box. I have a great destination for mine as well.
mcnerney and labradorguy like this.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:20 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

cochise,

Your box should be arriving any day now. It was sent via USPS Priority Mail yesterday, and should hit your doorstep very soon. Please let me know when it lands...

And, Jason... I'm tying up some "special" goodies for your "do it all" box, as are some of "my kids," especially one in particular. Nope... not hints, my friend. Let's just say that the wait will be worth it, and I'll let your imagination run wild...

Glad to hear that I've made a couple of new "Adams converts." I'll include a few goodies for the boys in your upcoming package as well.

And, tx_newb and Joseph... If you're going to want a box or two, please get with me as soon as you can. I'm about five boxes away from accomplishing a mission to ensure Ms Emily's complete funding on her trip East next month, and a couple of orders would really help me "get 'er dun!" (Did I really just quote Larry, the Cable Guy? I must be tired...)

Be well, my friends... The feathers are flying and the Opener is only 1.5 months away!!!

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 03-11-2014, 06:21 PM

8snake is on a distinguished road

I'm the fortunate recipient of three fly boxes from Jerry and can't say enough good things about the man, his work and the cause it supports. The only problem I see with the whole thing is that they're almost too cheap. No kidding at all. I feel like I underpaid for each box.
mcnerney, itchmesir, jbird and 1 others like this.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:25 PM

Guys,

Thank you for the compliments. I appreciate any feedback on my ties-- good, bad or indifferent, and fish photos, too. And, more than a few have said that my price for the flies they received was too low. I like to think of it as more of a "fair value" offering for my friends.

I tie as much as I do in the off-season for two reasons-- it's the best sort of therapy I can imagine-- my six months of rehab after my first brain tumor included a lot of tying. As well, wrapping many of the patterns that I tend to tie in a given day keeps me firmly grounded and in touch with my past. My elders, my two late daughters and I all tied together at myriad times in my life, and those of some of my fondest memories.

And, that I get to share their favorite flies with many of my angling "buds?" BONUS!!!

Keep a good thought, my friends, and remember this... In about 45 or so days, my waders again will re-direct the currents of the AuSable River as I whip the water to a froth...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
mcnerney, itchmesir, jbird and 1 others like this.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:16 PM

jjaram is on a distinguished road

Jerry, I'll take two more boxes. I'll Paypal the money over now.

Thanks, Joseph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2014, 10:31 PM

tx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of light

Email sent, can't wait to see the collection!