The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Flies and Fly Boxes Classifieds

Like Tree156Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 09:36 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bigger & Better... "The Fly Box 90!"

Hey B.E.F.,

Your wisdom and counsel have been taken to heart, especially as the same sentiments were echoed by "Doc" not more than 20 minutes ago. Like his daughter-- she's now my chief oncologist, and Emily's as well --he worries far more than he should. But, what can I say? He was my chief oncologist through brain tumors #1 and #2, and was instrumental in finding the two gifted surgeons who ultimately did what was thought to be impossible-- they restored my eyesight after five years of tumor-induced blindness. He's also been a family friend for nearly 18 years...

And, while he's offered to ante in my end of the fuel costs, I've never been one to burden friends or ask them to finish something that I started. Some have accused me of letting my pride get in the way, in that I choose to shoulder too many burdens alone. While I'll admit to being proud, my "straight-ahead" dedication to seeing something through has long been a part of who I am, thanks to my upbringing and the re-hab challenges faced in coming back to a semblance of "normal" after my first brain tumor. It took six months of grueling re-hab to make me whole again. But, it was not within me to fail...

And, I intend to fulfill my end of this deal as well. I'll tie enough flies and find a way to sell the boxes, just to see the fruition of a wish by one young girl who never asked to be sick, and for the disease that will bring her life to an end later this year. I'll also heed your advice as well, my friend, so you and "Doc"-- and my girls --all can rest a little easier and not worry so much...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
mridenour and grtlksmarlin like this.

Last edited by hairwing530; 04-16-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:55 AM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairwing530 View Post
.......And, I intend to fulfill my end of this deal as well. I'll tie enough flies and find a way to sell the boxes.......
Well then, though this will have to be it for me for a while, what say in addition to the two odd boxes worth I have already sent funds for, you count me in for two more of your standard boxes under one very firm condition....

Delivery is to be made when liesurely time permits.....No sooner.

I'll do as before and send out cash tonight in the mail....Same amount, the balance as before to be used to further your work......However, my term/condition above is non-negotiable.

B.E.F.
mridenour likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:04 AM
mridenour

Jerry,
I will take one for myself this time. I'll send funds as soon as I can. I don't have them today but I want you to know you can count on me for another one.

Mike
grtlksmarlin likes this.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:37 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Guys,

Every box gets me one step closer to pulling off what may well be the "last miracle" that I can summon on Emily's behalf. And, I mean every box... Some folks dismiss the cost of one box as being too little to make a difference. Well, I'm here to tell you that nothing could be further from the truth...

I've been asked a time or two about the reasons behind my "drive/passion" for doing what I do, and it all comes down to three primary ingredients-- my upbringing, our daughters and the groups who've made up the collections known as "my kids." In order, some further explanation...

My upbringing... I was raised on a farm by Scot/Irish/Polish grandparents, good "salt of the earth" people who valued friends and neighbors and were kind of spirit and generous of nature. I try each day to make sure that this proverbial "apple" stays reasonably close to his tree...

Our daughters... In all, I once was the father of four girls, of which only two remain. Lauren left us because of the irresponsible actions of another during the third year of my blindness. Laramie, our youngest, was diagnosed with leukemia and became sick during the last year before my sight was restored. Once back among the sighted community, we shared as many hours as possible, especially at the tying bench. It was my promise to her in her last days to continue the classes after she was gone, and to keep helping "my kids" whenever and wherever I could. Such vows will never be broken in this lifetime.

"My kids"... One could argue that my long-running battle with the cancer demons has been a curse of sorts. You could look at it that way, but I'd beg to disagree. You see, because of my first brain tumor, I've been truly blessed in the fact that my illness has given me the chance to be around some of the finest kids imaginable. To a child, they all were/are kids who boast incredible courage in the face of adversity and tough odds, and often displace a sense of grace that is rare these days. If it's all because of my first battle with cancer that I've been privileged to know them all, then so be it! I've enjoyed every minute of it, no matter the hours, nor difficult the work. As mentioned, it's been a blessing that keeps on giving...

So, there you have it. Me and my reasons for what drives me. Rest assured, B.E.F., your terms are acceptable on my end. And, Mike? I've already started putting some touches on your box, my friend.

My friends, thank you for giving a damn. Too many "small" things in this life get "white-washed" and trivialized in the face of the Big Picture. Fortunately, for me, a young girl named Emily, and all of "my kids," almost everybody here on the forum truly gets it!!!

Tight lines to you all... always...

Jerry, hairwing530
grtlksmarlin likes this.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:40 PM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtlksmarlin View Post
I'll do as before and send out cash tonight in the mail....Same amount, the balance as before to be used to further your work......However, my term/condition above is non-negotiable.
Done. Give it a couple days for delivery.

B.E.F.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:08 AM

It's amazing what good can come from an "extended" cat nap and a lantern-lit walk in the pre-dawn darkness along the river's edge. It tends to put a little life back into one's step, and helps to put things back into proper focus and perspective. So it was earlier today...

With that said, it's back to the bench-- a little renewed, refreshed by the morning air, and ready to wrap some hooks! By the way, a few "packages" should start hitting their respective mailboxes later today...

Tight lines always, everyone...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
grtlksmarlin likes this.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:08 PM

bz3722 is on a distinguished road

Pm sent

I just found the threads and read through them.

I would be honored to own one of these fly boxes.
Bob
grtlksmarlin likes this.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:34 AM

Bob,

PM sent back in your direction, my friend. And, if you want to learn a little more about who and what I am-- and how I got to be this way --check out the "Lodge Den" and the thread entitled "I Met Myself Last Night..." It will explain a lot...

Tight lines always, Bob...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 04-20-2014, 07:24 AM

B.E.F.,

Your "care package" arrived yesterday. Much appreciated... You should have a package headed your way later this coming week. All I'll say is "Be prepared..."

I'm planning on finishing up a few other boxes over the next couple of days as well, even though I'm trying to keep some semblance of strict adherence to the "marching orders" of my girls, BEF, "Doc" and a few other voices here on the forum. Advice heard and taken to heart, guys...

Wishing you all a great Easter Sunday...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 04-20-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairwing530 View Post
You should have a package headed your way later this coming week. All I'll say is "Be prepared..."
With bated breath I say "when you're ready"....

Enjoy your Easter, it's a time of rest and reflection.

B.E.F.