The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Flies and Fly Boxes Classifieds

Like Tree156Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 11:48 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bigger & Better... "The Fly Box 90!"

Not to worry, B.E.F. On this Easter day, I'm tying at a pace that's some might call "slow motion." I like to think of it as "leisurely," as any outdoor work has been put off until the weather clears. The skies here are threatening to open up, and with daughter Jesse home from college and eager to fill her own fly boxes, Dear Old Dad has to keep his eye on his "fly cache."

Besides, I did plenty of reflecting yesterday. If you get a chance or are inclined to, please check out my latest post in the "Lodge Den" thread... "I Met Myself Last Night..." to see what I mean...

Tight lines always, everybody... And, have a blessed Easter...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
grtlksmarlin and repperson29 like this.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:09 PM

lake flyer will become famous soon enoughlake flyer will become famous soon enough

I have to say that these flies are a super deal and very, very well tied!!! I just received a box of these flies from Jerry, compliments of mridenour, troutn, and their friend Steve as a thanks for helping them a couple weeks ago on their trip to Ohio. I couldn't be more impressed with the flies and while I have tied my own for many years, I can only wish I tied as good as Jerry. They are exactly as pictured and so consistently well tied from fly to fly! Looking forward to fishing these this summer.

Thanks Mike, Rick, Steve and Jerry!!
mridenour and troutn like this.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:32 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Hello lake flyer,

Glad to know that the package arrived in good shape, and that you found the flies to your liking. Within the confines of your box-- and almost every other fly box that I build via my tying --rests a bit more than is obvious to the eye, something that goes well beyond the thread, steel, hair and hackle of each fly.

I've been wrapping hooks since I was a kid, one who was lucky enough to be raised and school among "elders" who always took the furthering of my outdoor education into account with everything they did. My grandfather and "Doc" Holship introduced me to fly-fishing at 8, and fly-tying soon after. And, it's my personal history with the "pride in the tie" that keeps me going even today.

You see, fly-tying gave me back my life some 17 years ago. After my first bout of brain cancer and the subsequent surgery, some 9 months of grueling rehab was on the agenda, just to get me back to being "fully functional." My oncologist at the time, now retired and living a few miles upriver from me, utilized my love of tying to help speed up the recovery of my hand-to-eye coordination. It worked, and I finished my rehab in 6 months...

And now, I tie every day to stay sharp and to ensure that I'll be able to continue teaching my yearly classes with "my kids." It's my means of paying it forward in my own way. As well, when you drop that fly box into your vest pocket, you'll gain a few new "fly-fishing partners," ones who will never crowd your favorite pool or cause any trouble, as "we" tend to fish beside you vicariously.

You see, while your box contains mostly my flies, it also carries a few of Ms Emily's Light Cahills and a couple of the ties from the vise of my youngest daughter-- the late Laramie. So, when time and opportunity allow, please tie them on and fish them as the flies were intended to be fished...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 04-22-2014, 04:53 AM

Bob,

Your "care package" arrived yesterday, and work already is underway on your group...

And Chawk? Welcome to one of the absolutely best forums on the planet! It boasts some truly fine individuals-- OK, a lot of 'em --and a HUGE array of very knowledgeable anglers who are more than willing to share that knowledge. Besides, they're a great bunch of guys...

Again, welcome! Looking forward to your posts in the months ahead...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

PS I'll be working on your "collection" within a day or two...
Old 04-22-2014, 06:56 PM

I put a lot of stock in the "honor" system, an "investment" of sorts that sometimes come around to bite me in the backside. But, as I'm a bit set in my ways, I continue to stubbornly hold to the premise that "a man's word is his bond... until proven otherwise..."

Without going into great detail and making myself look like I've taken leave of my common sense, let's just say that I've had a double dose of one-sided trust of late, leaving me in the lurch once again on a few fly boxes. It's getting to the point where I just don't get it any longer.

So, my friends... all I ask is but a small favor, if you wouldn't mind? As I'm more than happy to "over-tie" a box or two filled with flies-- "90+ means 90 flies, plus a few more... always with me"--please do likewise on fulfilling the promise of payment on your end.

I never worry about "my buds" here on the forum, as your word has always been carved in stone-- your bond, if you will --with all of our dealings. As for a few others? Well, they've made me acutely aware of the fact that not all "fishing buds" are created equal...

Be that as it may, I still don't intend to change my own chosen "fulfillment" of orders, be they 90, 95 or something approaching 100 flies. I'm too damn old to change now...

Tight lines always, my friends/"buds"...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
mridenour and lycokayaker like this.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:53 PM

bz3722 is on a distinguished road

Jerry,
Thank you for letting me know it arrived, and for pointing me to " I Met Myself last Night". I will be a regular in that thread. You have a Great talent.
Bob
Old 04-22-2014, 08:54 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Sorry to hear about your recent second failure to pay hairwing530.....but since this is a forum that "anyone & anytype" may access, perhaps it would serve you better if you didn't start tying until payment is received. IOW, don't let your own trusting nature be the source of you losing your trust of others. How does the old saying go? "In God we trust....all others pay in cash (all others pay up front)."

I get your frustration, I really do.

Having been in business for over 35 years with customers having ranged from countless 1-man shows to the Big Three Automakers and the U.S. Military, you can be sure I've encountered many breeches of trust. No matter how cut and dry, iron clad and legal it may have been, you still get your lumps, yet the worst stings come from giving from the heart to help friends in need only to have them stick you in the end.

However....When it is all said and done and a final tally made, years of my life stolen, more money unpaid then I care to share, yet worst of all my own trust betrayed as i offered another man my hand and said sincerely "I'll do everything in my power to help you with your problem"......I can still look in the mirror when some may call me a sucker and say "my honor and word is unsullied."

I don't have to look at their face everyday, just mine........and we both need to remember that doing business fairly and wisely be they strangers or friends is NOT being untrusting. It is simply insuring we won't jade our trust in others.

B.E.F.
Chawk likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:09 PM

Bob,

Thank you for the kind words about my ramblings. Who knows? Maybe this will be the year that I finally do a book or two, rather than just pieces of one.

And, B.E.F.? I still intend to take an angler at his word, all the while giving the word of "my angling buds" top priority. There isn't a one of you "fly-wranglers" who's failed to earn that, and more...

Tight lines always, my friends...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 04-24-2014, 07:31 PM

STATUS UPDATE:

Bob, aka bz3722-- your box is enroute as of this morning. Should be there by Saturday, at the latest...

Philip W.-- your boxes also are enroute. Please let me know when they arrive, and your thoughts...

Nick-- Your boxes will be finished tomorrow before I head over to "Trail's End" for our memorial launch of the flotilla. I hope to have them in the mail before my carrier arrives...

And, Mike R? Your box, my friend, is nearing completion. Just let me know when you're ready for it...

More to come, as the forecast is carrying with it a fair amount of rain. Then again, I've often been accused of "not knowing when to come in out of the rain..."

Tight lines always, my friends...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 04-24-2014, 08:20 PM

troutn has a spectacular aura abouttroutn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake flyer View Post
I have to say that these flies are a super deal and very, very well tied!!! I just received a box of these flies from Jerry, compliments of mridenour, troutn, and their friend Steve as a thanks for helping them a couple weeks ago on their trip to Ohio. I couldn't be more impressed with the flies and while I have tied my own for many years, I can only wish I tied as good as Jerry. They are exactly as pictured and so consistently well tied from fly to fly! Looking forward to fishing these this summer.

Thanks Mike, Rick, Steve and Jerry!!
Glenn, glad they surprise box was a home run!