The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Flies and Fly Boxes Classifieds

Like Tree156Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 12:13 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bigger & Better... "The Fly Box 90!"

Guys,

Some nine boxes just left the confines of the house via USPS, all headed for new homes. Please let me know when the boxes are received, and your thoughts on them. Most of them should arrive before Thursday, or on Thursday, including your first shipment, B.E.F....

It's true that my desire to help Ms Emily live out a few of her very doable dreams/wishes has become something of a crusade for me. Then again, I tend to be that way with all of "my kids." It's a desire that builds and continues to grow, the longer that I teach my classes with these great kids.

There is more to the story than meets the eye, however. When my eyesight was restored in late 2009-- after five long years of blindness --I found myself peering into the face of a young girl who was wasting away via her battle with leukemia. Our latest daughter Laramie-- the youngest of our four --was losing ground in her fight far faster than I could have imagined without actually seeing it, and I wanted to do all I could for her before her young life ended.

But, it wasn't within my ability to do so, especially on the financial side of things. It's tough to make a living as a writer/photographer when your eyesight is taken away for the five years in question. And, as cancer is an expensive and insidious foe, things were "tight," to say the least. I had no idea how I could make anything happen for the late Laramie, no matter the circumstances.

It was during the last six or so months before her passing that I came to realize what kind of kid that she'd grown up to be, and I couldn't have asked for better. She had but two wishes-- that I continue the classes with "my kids" after she was gone, and that she and I spend as much time together as possible doing what she loved to do best-- going back to the bench and tying a few flies. We hadn't been able to do so in five years, and sharing the hours together wrapping hooks and just talking was at the top of her "end of life" bucket list." And, so we did...

And, as I promised, the classes continue, as does my tying. Now, whenever a hook settles in the jaws of the vise, I think of a young girl who once sat just to my right side, content with something so simple while life became more complicated. Even now, some four years after her passing, that thought tends to make me smile, and strive to do more for "my kids"-- the daughters how remain, and those special youngsters who grace our home each winter...

So, guys, when you pick up a fly box from me, please know that you help me to stay sharp at the craft of tying, and enable me to do something special along the way. Some days, it keeps this father's sadness at bay over the loss of two of his four daughters...
Old 05-06-2014, 05:25 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

One of this morning's e-mails hit a new all-time low, in my humble estimation. The sender accused me of the following:

1. Over-charging for my work
2. Over-charging for what's included in a typical "90+Flies Box"
3. Getting "rich" off of my fly sales

Normally, I just hit the "delete" key and go on about my business. But, the tone and "descriptive phrases" used-- I cleaned it up for posting purposes --really made me PO'd. As the sender saw my offering here on the forum, I thought I'd answer said sender where he will see this...

1. If I charged on an hourly basis, the flies would cost one heckuva lot more than they do...

2. "Over-charge?" I've yet to find a "package" that's remotely in the same ball park, price-wise or quality-wise, as the boxed arrays I send out...

3. Getting "rich???" Now, I know this guy is completely out of touch with reality...

My friends, if any of you EVER think that you've come out on the short end of the proverbial stick, please let me know. I always try to include a few extra flies-- 90+ means 90+ --or a little something special in every package. I put together boxes that I'd be proud to put into my vest, and I work long damn hours to make sure that my "fishing buds"-- long distance or not --get their boxes on a timely basis!!

And, as for the "rich" accusation? As almost all of you know, I take enough to keep me in materials, and the rest goes into the fund for "my kids..."

While I'm fully aware of the old saying about "You can please some of the people some of the time..." I guess it's true that there are those who'll never be satisfied, regardless of what you do. And, when you think about it, that's one sad state of mind for those who will never know the satisfaction of a life lived well...

OK... My rant is done! I know that I should just ignore the jack-hole, but it's not always possible. So, with all of the above now off my chest, I'm headed to the tying bench to wrap some more of my "overpriced" flies before I box them up and "overcharge" a fellow angler for them. After all, I have a "high-end" lifestyle to keep up...

Some mornings, I dread just looking into my "In Box..."

Tight lines to you all... always...

Jerry, aka hairwing530, Esq.
mcnerney and grtlksmarlin like this.

Last edited by hairwing530; 05-06-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:18 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Jerry,
Don't be bothered by this. The person that said these things obviously has not got a clue what he is talking about. I don't see how you can possibly find the time to do what you do. The price you charge is far less than about anywhere I have seen for flies of far less quality.

You just can't argue with stupid. The value on your product is among the best I have seen anywhere...ever. Just smile and wonder how it is that this poor soul that wrote such hateful and stupid words manages to breathe or feed themselves. Pray that they find help for their obviously damaged mental condition and find peace in knowing that you have and continue to do good things for others.

Mike
Old 05-06-2014, 09:56 AM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Well Jerry;

I can only assume that such an email being so absolutely absurd and ridiculous could only come from 2 possible sources. One of those sadly many people in this world that in the day of the internet having way too much time allow their sociopathic personalities to run wild, getting their jollies by trying to hurt and bully others.....It really says more about how desperately pathetic they are trying to get their sadistic jollies than anything about you.

On the other side of that coin as ridiculous as it sounds, believe it or not their are some countries of high volume manufacturing that actually enlist people to do this very thing....Naturally they don't bother with corporations, but go after typically smaller and home businesses like yours. Their rather pathetic point? To discourage you so you cease production and thus reduce their competition.

In the second post of this thread I stated the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtlksmarlin View Post
Fifty cents a fly? Plus a nice fly box? U.S. made and manufactured? How can this be?!

How could anyone not jump on such a generous offer?

Though it does make one wonder if Hairwing out of Michigan isn't really Haiwong out of Shanghai, but from the photos the quality is just too dang good!
As silly as the above sounds what it jokes about it is actually true.....What you offer VOLUME wise for the cost is stunning (and does make me wonder how you trained those monkies to tie flies so well, or perhaps that you have half of the population of Grayling chained up in your basement like some sweat shop).

IF your flies were junk quality it would still be a deal. Yet from what I've seen and read they're clearly not.......So, you as small as you are are a tremendous threat.

For myself? Recently i was directed to another site for a shop in Michigan where a single fly cost no less then $8.00! The more detailed ones virging on $20......I about choked! Then I thought about it.

If I sat down to tie even the most basic fly, with my poor tying skills so would be of poor quality, and then had to apply to it an hourly wage I could live with? Well, a simple Adams would sell for $50 each.

How you do what you do at the prices you charge I have no idea.....Yet there comes a point you've far exceeded where no matter what it is just simply worth it to just buy them.

Hey, that gives me an idea.....Buy em from Jerry at $45, then sell them on ebay for $300.....Hmmmmm, where's that Ferrari ordering website at!

Fools will be fools......and we've not even discussed the heart you've put into them.

B.E.F.
mcnerney and Chawk like this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:57 PM

zum will become famous soon enough

I know it's hard to do but just delete it.
It is probably making his day responding plus letting him no your upset.
Some people are just doorknobs.
I haven't bought from you but I think your prices are more than fair and where the proceeds go admirable.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the morale boost, guys. After I took an hour this morning and wandered the trail atop the riverbank, I sat down at the vise with a clear head-- and a clear conscious --and proceeded to tie up a fair pile of flies. Soon, some of them will be packed into their respective boxes and head out to their new homes in a vest pocket or two. And, once they're carried astream, I will be allowed the honor of fishing alongside those who've purchased a box or two, even if the fishing is vicarious...

And, as a side note... I just ran some of the tracking info on the "care packages" that departed yesterday, and a great many of them should be delivered tomorrow, with a few scheduled for Thursday. I truly hope that you all find them satisfactory, as a fair amount of the aforementioned "heart" is carried in every wrap of the hackle...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 05-06-2014, 08:38 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

As others stated , whoever that idiot is that sent you that note can blow it out his tailpipe.

One of my favorite quotes " Don't argue with an idiot, you will just stoop to their level and they will beat you with experience".

My all time favorite quote about idiots comes from the late great George Carlin. I will butcher it but it goes something like this. If you think of how stupid the average person is, juste realize 1/2 the population is dumber.

I have thought bout tying and selling to offset my costs. Well about 4 dozen midges and nymphs in to my stockpile I gave up hope. I can probably go pick up aluminum cans or donate blood and make a better hourly rate !!

Good on you for what you are doing and why you are doing it. Don't let some idiot make you think otherwise.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I posted this awhile back on the Project Healing Waters/Casting for Recovery fly donation thread, but thought it was worth posting here as I want the members to realize that Jerry isn't all about making money off his tying, here are the flies that Jerry donated to Casting for Recovery. Take a close look at the high quality of these flies that Jerry is tying and donating:
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:24 AM

Larry,

Thank you for posting the photos. It was both my pleasure and an honor to tie a few up for CFR and PHW. And, while I'd love to take credit for them all, some of the Light Cahills and Grey Fox were done up my Ms Emily, and a few of the others came from my stash of the last flies tied by our late daughter, Laramie. Like Ms Emily is enduring, our youngest was on the losing end of a two-year battle with leukemia, one that ended when she was only 15 years young, and I miss her still...

Overnight, another e-mail hit my "In Box," one that was sent with all of the best intentions and duly recognized as such. It was from the father of one of "my kids," and boiled down to its brass tacks, the note merely wondered "Why?" Why didn't I charge more for my work? Why wasn't I charging for the tying classes with "my kids?" And, why do I spend so many hours doing what I do, just to give some of it away or realize so little for it?

As I know and like the guy, I took his questions at face value and as well meant, but soon came up with a question or two of my own... Why must there always be a Why?? Can't the reasons be as simple as "Because I can..." or "Because that's who I am..."?

Guys, it all comes down to this... When I came into this world, it wasn't with a silver spoon, and all things considered, it's a sure bet that I won't be departing this world with one, either. My goal is "comfort," pure and simple-- comfort in who I am and where I'm headed, and comfort in the fact that my family is taken care of. Beyond that, I'd rather "play with fishing toys" and wrap hooks than set my sights on building a fortune. Cancer has proven to me that it can burn through the best of financial plans in short order...

I tie as much as I do because of the three "G's"-- God, as He has allowed me to out-live my original prognosis from brain tumor #1 by over 14 years; Grandfather, because he taught me so many of my fly-fishing/fly-tying and other outdoor skills; and "Great Balls of Fire" himself, the late Montgomery Jackson. He further honed my good sense(?)-- the jury's still out --my good will, and my abilities at a fly vise. So, I give of what I know best...

And, as for any cost to any of "my kids?" Ain't happenin' anytime soon. There's never been a "fee" and there never, NEVER will be... Not in my lifetime!

And, on this Wednesday morning, my friends, that's how I roll!!! Now, buy a box of flies, will 'ya???

Be well, my friends, and set a hook for me once in awhile...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

Last edited by hairwing530; 05-07-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:01 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Jerry,
If you can give all that you can give and still be grateful for what you have left over, you have indeed discovered one of the most elusive secrets to life. Our culture is set so counter to this kind of value system that most folks never experience it.

Keep moving in the direction you know to be right and don't be swayed by those that don't understand or those that want more than they deserve.

It is a much better thing to look back on life and say, "I was a good man" than "I really made a lot of money and got a lot of stuff."

Looking forward to the day I can sit and talk with you and learn a thing or two about giving more of myself and letting go of things I don't really need.

Mike
hairwing530 and grtlksmarlin like this.