The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Flies and Fly Boxes Classifieds

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 04:43 PM

popperhopper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hairwing530, Might you consider?........

I will also be in line from the start. Just let me know when. I got the where.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk
grtlksmarlin likes this.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:43 AM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

A few thoughts to keep in mind. Streamers I'd suspect can use up 10x the materials, and materials are the most expensive part (in that Jerry doesn't charge NEAR enough for his time). So the quantity of flies we might ask for I'd think would be a lot less.

Size of the flies also needs to be reasonable.....So I guess asking for 18" long Blue Marlin flies on Shark hooks might be out.

I'll try and post some ideas as to patterns later.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:12 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

To My "Streamer" Crew,

Here are a few of my thoughts, as I kick around the ideas on the streamer boxes...

Sizes to range from size #6 to size #12, depending on the pattern...

Patterns to range from the "classics"-- Ghosts, Mickey Finns, etc to a few of the newer streamers...

Number of streamers per box to be around 40 plus...

Price per box around $50, or thereabouts...

Boxes to be used? Still checking into those, but the price would include the box as well...

What sayeth you, my angling cohorts?

Jerry, aka hairwing530
mridenour likes this.

Last edited by hairwing530; 05-10-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:16 PM

Sounds good to me.

Put me down for 2!
Old 05-10-2014, 03:39 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Jerry, Put me down for a couple. PM me when and cost. Emil
I also need your address again. Computer dumped everything.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:21 AM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Okay, just some food for thought and my "personal" tastes as to streamer patterns.

Though no tyer like Hairwing....Well, or even that boy who grabbed a wad of matted dog hair and jammed it on a hook like a chicken liver, there was always a feature I liked about Saltwater flies.....That being whether feathers (like thin hackles), polyhair, holostrips or whatever, that they extended back past the bend roughly a shank length or more.

Think of a common Tarpon Fly or Bunker. Now some would argue that when a trout hits it might go for the tail, and then you hook nothing. True enough, but I've often seen trout or whatever fish strike, and when it slips free strike again even more aggressively.

That said, a Tarpon fly is not a great example of the entire fly due to the typically simply wrapped shank (which is a waste of space in that the point is to make a typically smaller fly due to hook look bigger)...Bunkers in kind as well as oddly "bunker style" I always likes a thinner/narrower and sparser fly. IOW not so much hair.

In any case, in your personal creations I'd really like to see a little of that. When i have tied for myself I've always extended the soft stuff back a little.....Think of your bunny strip flies, yet using hackles or poly hair instead.

Anyway, that's just a personal thing......Hairwing the expert. In the end I'd rely on HIS expertise to catch me the fish

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:54 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

B.E.F.,

It's funny that you should mention the "saltwater" design. Before I left for my few hours of "pondering" life's mysteries and just enjoying the sunset hitting the porch of "Trail's End" yesterday, I tied a few smaller streamer variations, some with a little more substance in the tail section. They were then given to my daughter, Jesse, for her "river research" after she and Mom joined me at "Trail's End" just as evening was coming on.

The long and the short of it? Jesse took a few nice brook trout and one exceptional brown, the kind that don't often make an appearance unless the "Hex" hatch is on! And, on some of the most hideously bright colors as well!! Think "salt" meets "fresh," or picture some of those "bunnies" colorations married into pure streamer formation. So much for my "hatch-matching" days...

At any rate, costs have been factored in and put to paper, and here's what the offering will be...

A box of 40+ streamers in sizes #6 through #12, delivered to your door for $50. I'm going to stick with the two-sided waterproof boxes, as I'm partial to the metal hinge and their durability, and position the streamers accordingly to fit. By utilizing my usual box, there should be sufficient room for making it into a "do-all" box with the addition of a few dries or nymphs among the streamers, should an angler be of a mind to do so.

And, as many of you have been kind enough to "invest" in me before, I'm comfortable enough with the initial ties and what I see as the "turn-around" time-- abut 10 days or so --to start taking orders whenever any of you are inclined to do so. My Paypal info is the same as it's been on the "Fly Box 90+s":
jwarrington1@copper.net

And, if you need to touch base with me, the info above also doubles as my e-mail address...

Let the streamer boxes begin! I'll start wrapping a few of them while I'm finishing up some of the "Fly Box 90" orders...

My thanks to you all for taking me astream with you, even if it is a vicarious sort of fishing via the flies...

Tight lines to you all... always...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
itchmesir and mridenour like this.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:08 AM

Guys,

I'm going to start the preliminary ties later today. I tried to fish this morning, but the rain and "traffic jams" drove me back inside. Of course, as I write this, the river is now empty and the sun is making an occasional appearance. Ah well...

So far, the list for boxes/streamers is as follows:

B.E.F.- 1 box
Popperhopper- 2 boxes
jjaram- 1 box
Mike R.- 1 box
rockriver- 2 boxes

Whenever you're so moved, my Paypal info is included in the preceding post... As for you, B.E.F. and rockriver... I'll await your "greetings" as usual...

Have a great Sunday, my friends. I'll be at the bench more than usual, as it's keeping my mind off the events of the week ahead...

Tight lines always...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 05-11-2014, 02:44 PM

Done!!

My local waters won't even know what hit them!

Last edited by popperhopper; 05-11-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:53 PM

Doug,

We're good, my friend. Please know, however, that should you let the resident trout know of the streamers' origins-- aka from the vise of the infamous northern Michigan-based hairwing530 --you just might find that all you'll need is a dip net. Trout tend to come floating to the top during fits of hysterical laughter, as breathing beneath the surface becomes more difficult during such displays...

Hey... it works for me...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
popperhopper likes this.