The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Flies and Fly Boxes Classifieds

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 10:53 AM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all
Default Hairwing530, Might you consider?........

Hi Hairwing530;

I wonder if you might consider in the near future offering up perhaps sets of streamers? I don't know, call it a Streamer-30/40 or whatever. Yet sets of streamers that range in size good for perhaps a 4wt. (smaller end) up to 7wt. (large end) range of things?...Not really surface types yet more subsurface classic streamers?

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:19 AM

popperhopper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hairwing530, Might you consider?........

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtlksmarlin View Post
Hi Hairwing530;

I wonder if you might consider in the near future offering up perhaps sets of streamers? I don't know, call it a Streamer-30/40 or whatever. Yet sets of streamers that range in size good for perhaps a 4wt. (smaller end) up to 7wt. (large end) range of things?...Not really surface types yet more subsurface classic streamers?

B.E.F.

Great minds think alike. I just asked about this in a PM. Also for that same WT range and amount.

What are your thoughts on patterns?

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk
grtlksmarlin likes this.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:55 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Guys,

While I've long been a "dry-fly" guy, I'm always up for considering the building of a unique box or two. Let me know your size, pattern and other wishes, and we can talk about getting "the streamer show" going...

This could be fun... Great ideas, my friends...

Live from the gloomy, overcast, "river's too high to fish" AuSable River corridor...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
mridenour and grtlksmarlin like this.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:05 PM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by popperhopper View Post
What are your thoughts on patterns?
That would entail having knowledge of such things.....and after 10 years of not tying anymore, I'm hard pressed to remember. However, I'm thinking not so much of "classic" salmon flies. More of longer feathers and hologram strips, flashes of red to mimic gills and injuries, whole smaller patterened feathers for flanks (always loved finding Blue Jay feathers for that)...Past that I'd have to do a bit of looking.

The important part being a few large ones for big Trout and Pike/Musky, and some small ones for Brookies and lighter weight rods, yet nothing using deer hair and the like to keep them on top like a muddler minnow.

B.E.F.

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairwing530 View Post
While I've long been a "dry-fly" guy, I'm always up for considering the building of a unique box or two. Let me know your size, pattern and other wishes, and we can talk about getting "the streamer show" going...
I'll try and come up with a few examples in a day or so.......Yet really I'm thinking past "general style" (long, sparse, and utilizing varied materials), it's tyers chioce.....Specific styles IMO right or wrong mean little.....making it look like a wounded fish or stimulator yet still able to be cast the point of.

B.E.F.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:16 PM

jjaram is on a distinguished road

I would be in for a streamer box :-)
grtlksmarlin likes this.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:19 PM
mridenour

I would be interested in zonkers, clousers, egg-sucking leeches, leech patterns, etc. in salmon and steelhead sizes.

Of course, no matter what you chose to tie, I would be interested in buying.
grtlksmarlin likes this.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:39 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Guys,

Let me do some "research" into the hooks I'll need-- I'm thinking size #6 through size #12 or #14(yes, I've actually tied "small" streamers down to #16's for a few of the guys before, and they fished great!) --and we'll take it from there. B.E.F., you actually had some "Bunny" bugs and other "playing" on my part in your jar. What were your thoughts of them?

Something else that I've thought about doing was replicating some of the yellow, red and variations flies from one of the late Montgomery Jackson's "Community Jars." I once thought the idea of bright yellow wets and dries to be a little "out there..." until I took a few our on the river. The flies drove the brook trout absolutely crazy!!

Ah... some many flies, and so many thoughts running through my feeble mind... The possibilities are endless...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
mridenour and grtlksmarlin like this.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:11 PM

popperhopper is on a distinguished road

#12-#6 would work for and my style fishing the best. But i could stretch that out some. Patterns i am open to anything really. Maybe we could get a general consensus from the group for the first go around of boxes and then go from there?

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk
grtlksmarlin likes this.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:14 PM

Guys,

I've arranged for the delivery of a good mix of streamer hooks-- one of the "cronies" tying room is awash with streamer hooks-- and every other kind of hook imaginable --and as he doesn't tie many streamers, he made me an offer that I couldn't refuse.

I've also narrowed down the first streamers that will come off the vise-- mixed sizes, patterns classic and new, and a few surprises. And, is my way, no hints or insights until I'm satisfied with my work...

Stay tuned... Anybody want to sign up for the first groups? I'm still hammering out the details, but you know how I price things-- fair and square. These won't be any different...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
grtlksmarlin likes this.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:28 PM

Jerry;

Yes, I noticed and even mentioned those Bunny Strip streamers in my report, and for that set they'll work great! A bit more variety is what I was thinking of however. Though will say I think size 14 let alone 16 might be getting a tad small for my wants.

In any case, work out your thoughts, and I know you still have some "Fly Box 80's" to wrap up, yet once you know what you'd like to do and have a number, count me in for a box right off the get go!

B.E.F.