The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing

Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing From classic salmon flies to sunray shadows. Anything salmon love to take after a great cast!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 8 Post By gt05254

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 09:40 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Tying wet fly throats

Here's the method I use for tying in throats on my atlantic salmon wet flies:
First, take one or two hen cape hackles, clean off the fuzz, and snip to create a v-shaped feather:
Click the image to open in full size.

tie in under the hook, concave side facing down:

Grasp the stem and pull thru the loose loops until you have the length you're looking for:

cut off stem, tie in, and move on to the next step:

For me, this is far easier than wrapping a hackle, then pulling it down and binding it in and trimming the top. Plus, you get a smaller head this way.

There is a long and pic-heavy SBS on my blog on how I tie my Celtic Beauty, with the above steps included.
Gary
Old 02-08-2013, 10:16 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tying wet fly throats

Wow! I like it. I fight this all the time and jab the hook into my fingers as I turn the hook upside down and try to place the hackle on. I need to remember this!!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Gary: Very nice tip, thanks for sharing!

Old 02-09-2013, 03:13 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a wonderful technique and SBS gary! Thanks for putting that together. I've often wondered how to put a throat on a fly like that. Very similar to Kelly's leg technique. Very good stuff!
Old 02-09-2013, 03:21 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Gentlemen, thank you for the good words. And very glad you found it helpful.
Gary