The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing

Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing From classic salmon flies to sunray shadows. Anything salmon love to take after a great cast!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 8 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default New Twist on An Old Pattern;

Have you ever gotten into a slump; you know, you get blanked a few times and so you figure that if you had some new flies things would get better. Well I got to thinking that if I tied and fished something I haven't used for years things will improve.

I know you may look at some of my flies and say: what the heck is that for. Although this place can be either great or dismal on any given day, the fish here are wild rainbow / steelhead trout and they will grab attractor flies in the runs. That makes it fun, because you can use whatever you want and have a good chance as long as you present the fly the right way in the right place. At the end of the day it's about whether I enjoyed fishing, and what I really enjoy is using something way different than anyone who may have fished the same stretch I'll be on Today is going to be mild, sunny, and I'm going to go fishing afternoon until dark. I will take these flies along and give them the starting position, here's hoping.

I took advice from the thread about background when I photographed this one and used 2 different looks. The tying recipe is listed under the pictures if you want to give it a whirl. Traditionally these are tied on standard streamer hooks, I used something different on this set of flies.

The Western Doctor;
Click the image to open in full size.

And on a dark blue screen;

I still like the beige

Hook: Your choice but I used an Alec Jackson #4 nickel finish
Threads: I used white until I got to the wing, then switched to red gossamer silk to finish the head.
Tail: This one uses yellow calf tail
Butt: Wine mohair wool, substitute whatever you've got there's no wrong way here
Body: Flat silver tinsel with an oval silver rib
Throat: Dark blue hackle collared and tied down a bit
Under wing: Sparse yellow, red, and blue buck tail for wing support
Wing: A nice even mallard flank feather tied flat over the hook, as long as the bend.
Head: Red, this can be done with thread, silk, or paint. I've used all three over the years.

I made three and this one has a higher wing and shorter hackle, you can see the bucktail under the mallard here. When they are wet and streaming through the current the wing will blend with the hair.

Here you see how the feather is secured. This type wing is real tough, unlike slips of mallard these stay together as long as you own the fly. You can use dyed bronze mallard flank to make the Dark Doctor and sometimes dark works better.

To do wings this way on any wet fly * take a flank feather and strip fibers until the remaining ones are as long as you want the wing to be. * Then lay the quill right on top the hook and make three loose loops of thread over the exposed quill. * Allow the thread bobbin to hang placing just the weight of the bobbin on those loops. * Now grasp the quill and slide it forward until the wing is positioned where you want it. * Carefully apply tension and wrap the feather down tight, apply a dab of cement to the feather where it is bound by the thread then trim excess quill and finish building the head, whip it and lacquer the head. I use this wing on the Spey flies I tie because it is so tuff.

What king of guy would tell you about the Western Doctor 'Dark' and not show one?

Last edited by Hardyreels; 10-26-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:08 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New Twist on An Old Pattern;

You're right, that first fly does look great on the beige background. Although the colors really pop, almost look neon on the dark blue.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 10-27-2013, 05:49 AM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Nice looking flies Ard, come spring I'm going to try a few more spey patterns on the landlocks. I like the beige.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:36 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Sorry guys that color is not beige, it's Chadwicks #477 !

Ard I really like the red head. You can tie 'em like that till the cows come home and I'll be a'lookin'. Hope you hooked a few.

*grinning and twinkling*
Old 03-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

If you want your heads to glow get a few spools of silk for head finishing. After all the heavy lifting is done securing all the materials change to silk and build the head area with this. Then a couple coats of Wapsi head cement and they will look just like those flies. I have collected many different colors of silks over the years and do this with lots of flies.

I don't really believe it makes the fly effective but I get a certain level of satisfaction in doing it. That's part of the whole, right?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;