The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing

Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing From classic salmon flies to sunray shadows. Anything salmon love to take after a great cast!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default My Take on the Thunder & Lightening Slip Wing;

Telling me that the hackles are too long won't help, I like a lot of hackles

Click the image to open in full size.

It's been a while since I've tied anything on a classic style and I saw one of these tied. It was much better than what I do but I had a go with it anyway. I think I have everything bound in well enough to fish with it, I figure that wing will kinda lay down and split up when in use.

I probably won't be carrying half a dozen of those Just a little to fussy to make.
mcnerney, ted4887 and mridenour like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-18-2013, 10:24 PM

ia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to all
Default Re: My Take on the Thunder & Lightening Slip Wing;

Needs to be in a display case so the fish won't mess it up. That's a beautiful tie Ard.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:26 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Needs to be in a display case so the fish won't mess it up. That's a beautiful tie Ard.
You could have it in a tree in .25 casts.

Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:40 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Ard,

The only problem I see with this fly is that there are none of them in my fly box As is the case with your flies, another one beautifully tied!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

I have taken a day off from the production tying thing (tubes) and will probably do some more pretty stuff tomorrow. it seems that there is but 1 Santiam Spectrum in my box and it is all but tattered. That'll take a while, I've never made more than 2 at a time of that fly but they look good fishermen and fish think they are fun to eat. It's a win win situation

Thanks for the kind reviews, I'm no wingman here, those stayed together but stood a bit tall I think.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:07 PM

ia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to all

Wing and hackle are very sharp, but we are used to that from you Ard. I really like the 5 or so materials just on the hook shank. Definitely a step up from the tube tactics we normally see in production flies.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Thanks D,

I'm far from perfect at tying flies but now and then I like making something with some panache, That one has some.

I forgot to paste the back side............

Aside from the sparse tinsels I always find the side I couldn't see is better than the one I was working at.

Strange
mcnerney and craigthor like this.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:17 AM
Administrator

I made a hair wing too

The wing is Fitch.

Both

Homie can tie

Old 12-19-2013, 07:06 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Uh --------- Ard the hackle's are just fine !
Nice fly !
Hardyreels likes this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-19-2013, 07:22 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Ard.
They Look Fine to me I don't think The Fish would worry about The Hackle Lengths.
Brian
Hardyreels likes this.