The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing

Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing From classic salmon flies to sunray shadows. Anything salmon love to take after a great cast!

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default The Last Fly Tied for 2013;

I spent a couple hours today tying Green Butt Dee flies and a few other trout patterns. Then my mind got to wandering, as it often does, and I went to some old patterns that I used to make and fish with. This fly, I haven't made for at least 20 years.

No matter what I can see that I can say is wrong with this, I like it. If I do another I'll probably go to silver doctor blue for the under wing, otherwise this ones good to go

Click the image to open in full size.

I was pleased with the body, it'll have some sparkle.

It has six saddles in the wing so that it has a good full profile and I got the group centered pretty well so it'll ride well I think.

Thinking about rainbow trout and little bitty ones being eaten by great big ones

Happy New Year

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 01-01-2014 at 03:56 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:59 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I Changed gears on New Years Eve;

Very nice Ard, a great way to start off the new year.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:04 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Those are purty Never fished that style of fly, but will have to give it a try. Hope you have a great new year!
Hardyreels and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys,

William, it's easy, you tie them on and you figure out where there will be a fish who will hit that. For something with color like this I would fish in a good current. I wouldn't want the trout to have a long time to study the fly. I've been fishing with feather wing streamers since I was a kid. It took me about fifteen years to get slick at making them but I did. All I can tell you is that it is an incredible feeling to tie something like this to your leader and walk to the waters edge. When you tie it on you know it will work. You know why?.............Because it is so cool you will make it work, that's why.

That's the truth. I quit worrying about whether or not I would catch a fish a long time back. I began to focus on catching them on what I wanted to use, not what everyone else used. Some days things were slow. But when you got it right and people who knew you, and knew what you fished with, they respected that to a degree.

Some of the coolest encounters with strangers I remember happened when a guy would appear behind me either as I caught a fish or after I left one go; and he would say, "What are you using"? I would answer and about 100% of the time the fellow would ask, "Is that some kind of streamer"? I would step back to shore and hold out my fly, usually pull out my wallet and show him one that wasn't wet and they would say, "Oh my God, you tie those yourself"?

I would do my best at being modest and humble and admit to making the flies and they would dish out the compliments. It was cool, almost every one would say, "I always wondered if those things would work here". I would smile and say, 'now you know'.

I've never been wildly wealthy, never the coolest lid, so I picked something that would make me a little different and then stuck with it
bigjim5589, mcnerney and pm287 like this.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 01-01-2014 at 02:24 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:51 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Last Fly Tied for 2013;

Thanks Ard, it is an inspiration to learn to tie and fish the patterns. Definitely more complex than my usual ties, but a good challenge.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:47 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: That is a great pattern to end the year with, that body is gorgeous!

Larry
Hardyreels likes this.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:48 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Ard, very cool!

Very Classic styling & old school too IMO! Nothing at all wrong with any of that!

Quote:
William, it's easy, you tie them on and you figure out where there will be a fish who will hit that. For something with color like this I would fish in a good current. I wouldn't want the trout to have a long time to study the fly. I've been fishing with feather wing streamers since I was a kid. It took me about fifteen years to get slick at making them but I did. All I can tell you is that it is an incredible feeling to tie something like this to your leader and walk to the waters edge. When you tie it on you know it will work. You know why?.............Because it is so cool you will make it work, that's why.

That's the truth. I quit worrying about whether or not I would catch a fish a long time back. I began to focus on catching them on what I wanted to use, not what everyone else used. Some days things were slow. But when you got it right and people who knew you, and knew what you fished with, they respected that to a degree.

Some of the coolest encounters with strangers I remember happened when a guy would appear behind me either as I caught a fish or after I left one go; and he would say, "What are you using"? I would answer and about 100% of the time the fellow would ask, "Is that some kind of streamer"? I would step back to shore and hold out my fly, usually pull out my wallet and show him one that wasn't wet and they would say, "Oh my God, you tie those yourself"?

I would do my best at being modest and humble and admit to making the flies and they would dish out the compliments. It was cool, almost every one would say, "I always wondered if those things would work here". I would smile and say, 'now you know'.

I've never been wildly wealthy, never the coolest lid, so I picked something that would make me a little different and then stuck with it
You & I could almost fit in the same mold with these thoughts! I would bet in your younger days, you had thoughts of "fitting in" but eventually settled on doing your own thing! I did as well! That, is what living is about & certainly as it pertains to this sport we all love & enjoy!

As always a perfect post, and appropriate to end the old year & bring in the New! Thank You Sir!
Hardyreels likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:50 AM

tail of the pool is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tail of the pool

Ard

You should keep tying these as IMO this is one of your best, Lines of a race car my friend
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:33 PM

gr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura aboutgr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura about

Beautiful fly Ard! It is definitely a unique fly!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Thanks guys

I'm about to do 2 more but dyed some different blue for the inner wings. I also need to find a box full of barred wood duck that is here somewhere first. Weird how that happens, I don't use it often at all and there is a mother load of them but I can't find it in my feather bins...... Time to do some organizing maybe
bigjim5589 and mcnerney like this.