The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing

Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing From classic salmon flies to sunray shadows. Anything salmon love to take after a great cast!

Like Tree15Likes
  • 9 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By wannafish
  • 1 Post By craigthor
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By jaybo41
  • 1 Post By brookfieldangler
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Hybrid Streamer for Trout & Salmon;

I will target rainbow / steelhead trout with this but have no doubt it will catch silver salmon if you want.

Click the image to open in full size.

After tying several versions I've settled in with this as what the fly will be in future copies.

Hook: Daiichi 2055 #3 gold finish
Thread: White 6/0 until the wings & cheeks are secured then change to silk
Tail: Tragopan Pheasant wing coverlets paired and tied upright
Body: Embossed silver foil double wound front to back & return
Ribbing: Vintage Herter's fine gold oval strand or similar
Wing: 2 Silver Doctor blue saddles covered with 2 pale yellow saddles
Cheeks: Jungle Cock Nails selected to scale of wing
Collar: Pale Yellow hackle 3 turns followed by Claret Red 2 turns
Head: Garnet colored Perarsall's Silk with 2 coat lacquer finish

Yum Yum
mcnerney, madjoni, dean_mt and 6 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-02-2014, 05:52 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hybrid Streamer for Trout & Salmon;

Beautiful tie!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:56 AM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Can this double as an earring as well? Gorgeous...
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: All I can say is WOW, what a beautiful pattern!

Larry
Hardyreels likes this.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:17 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

That one's a real beauty Ard. You've got some interesting colors in this fly. I hope it gets you some grabs, though one might argue it could be framed.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:27 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

That's a beaut!!

I was actually throwing your light spruce in the smokey mountains of tennessee this past weekend. Didn't get any takers but I have no idea if that was event he right streamer for wild rainbows or not. I know so little about classic wing streamers but am very intrigued
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
That's a beaut!!

I was actually throwing your light spruce in the smokey mountains of tennessee this past weekend. Didn't get any takers but I have no idea if that was event he right streamer for wild rainbows or not. I know so little about classic wing streamers but am very intrigued
I hope those flies swim upright, after they were done I was wishing I had made the hackle more full. I wish you had caught a beauty with it because that would boost confidence in using such flies.

Jason,

I made just 3 of these because they take some work. Getting the body right and wing set was time consuming. I figure that if they work well for trout I'll streamline the process with different body material and won't be so fussy with the wings. As you know there is a big difference between fishing flies and one you are going to use that 1:1 macro lens on. heck, a fly that looks perfect to the naked eye can end up looking like a train wreck under that lens

At this point I have all the clip boxes refilled but one, (that 9.90 special I picked up) and then will go back to tubes - Sculpins - and Intruder style. If nothing else I'll have a terrific selection of flies ready for spring

Thanks to all for the generous comments,

Ard
jaybo41 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-03-2014, 04:52 AM

bear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to behold

Nice fly Ard, I just noticed the tail, nice.