The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing

Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing From classic salmon flies to sunray shadows. Anything salmon love to take after a great cast!

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: The forgotten colour!

Those are some very good looking results Gary, very good!
gt05254 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-12-2014, 07:43 AM
Administrator

cb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
I could go on, but hopefully my point is made: claret lives!
Delighted to hear it!

My most successful Atlantic salmon fly is simply a silver bodied fly with brownish-claret bucktail or goat. I add Jungle cock to please me . I tie it on tube flies and big salmon singles.
I would not leave home without this fly! I call it the Durham Argus after the rare butterfly of that name - found where I live in the England (Durham City).

I have real trouble getting the precise shade I want in bucktail (i'm VERY choosy on this one) - but have never tried home dying.

Ard, I'm going to give it a go! Thanks for the inspiration.

Colin
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:09 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Claret isn't a forgoton Colour with me as with many others Lots of The Classic English Flies I & many others used to Tie had either Claret Hackle,Claret Seals Fur Bodies & even Claret Wings.
Brian
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Administrator

cb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
Claret isn't a forgoton Colour with me as with many others Lots of The Classic English Flies I & many others used to Tie had either Claret Hackle,Claret Seals Fur Bodies & even Claret Wings.
Brian
When you look back at many old classics - claret and brown colours feature very often. Not so in many fly shops now though. We have been seduced by orange, black and yellow. It's a funny old game!
Old 01-12-2014, 01:28 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I remember a time when a purple plastic worm was the recommended lure for bass. Same with yellow poppers. I tried them both as a youngster, thinking that because they were recommended so highly in the popular sport magazines I read, they had to be magic!

Shops sell what moves, which is usually the hot item at the time. That changes with time. For fly patterns & colors it doesn't mean that older isn't used or productive, it simply means that they get replaced with the newest rage. Financial restraints & shop space dictate what a shop carries.

I don't tie with anything in that color spectrum very much. The range from blends of red & purple, from Claret, Wine, or Burgundy. But like the purple plastic worm & yellow poppers, I still have some materials in those colors.

There have been times in the past for me that a Woolly Bugger with Wine or Burgundy colored chenille & black tail & hackle was killer. IMO, it produced simply because it was something different. Not the usual colors that fish saw. Perhaps they took the flies out of curiosity, not recognizing the colors, but the movement of a bugger being familiar. I'm speculating, or guessing!

I have an old pattern book that mentions a few wet flies that used claret, wine or burgundy colored materials. At the time I got that book, many years ago I didn't even know what color claret actually was. I had some idea about the other two, which reminded me of those purple plastic worms.

Wonderful thread folks! Makes me want to dig out that old pattern book, find my materials of the various colors mentioned & tie a few flies!

As I get older, reminders of my younger days sometimes inspire me to do something nostalgic! Thank you!
gt05254 and siege like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 03-10-2014, 10:53 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

It's a funny old game commercial flies..... When I was selling flies a cream caddis was my best seller it wasn't long until it was in shops and sold by my competition the thing that is funny here is that is a pattern i adapted from an old classic.

Claret is hard to find here but I still have it for wet flies 😋

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 04-30-2014, 09:15 AM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I've actually started adding in claret to my wets and streamers as an under wing or as the primary wing. I use Fox fur pretty much only now as it just seems to be a great material to work with and the local store has alot of this colour in stock.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 09-03-2014, 12:31 PM

wf10f is on a distinguished road

I just dip my flies or feathers in my wife's wine when she's not looking. Gives a nice scent for the fish to track too.
fyshstykr and fredaevans like this.