The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing

Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing From classic salmon flies to sunray shadows. Anything salmon love to take after a great cast!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Administrator

cb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nice
Default The forgotten colour!

If you walk into a fly shop in the UK (at least) you will see dozens of different salmon patterns made from a combination of orange, black, yellow and red. With perhaps a few blues and some greens.

Claret - on the other hand seems as popular as a seal in the pool!

Yet - I love it! And so do salmon especially if there is a tinge of peat / sherry / tea colour in the water - very common here in Scotland.

I dont know why it seems to have dropped out of fashion - but thankfully nobody has told the salmon !
Old 01-10-2014, 12:09 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The forgotten colour!

With over a million viewers for this site alone, after everyone reads your post I would expect to see them in all the fly shops.

Dave
Old 01-10-2014, 12:49 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Here in the U.S. I tried for a year to find a claret pheasant tail. It never happened.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Here in the U.S. I tried for a year to find a claret pheasant tail. It never happened.
Jimmie: I bet Laurie could make it happen, he is always dying with special colors. Here is his web site if you want to contact him to see if he has claret or would be willing to dye some for you guys.

http://www.finneysflies.com/

Larry

Old 01-10-2014, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Colin,

Claret is one of those old school custom colors which can be hard to come across. For most of my own use I must blend dyes and make the feathers to suit. I do use a fly regularly that comes quite close to a true claret, I call it a Red Head...........
Click the image to open in full size.

For whatever reason the color of this fly is very well accepted by all species here although I've not used it for king salmon. Generally the kings fall to more brightly colored lures than other fishes.

This second fly is intended for trout fishing and the claret hackle is only a highlight in the collar. I do however have hopes that it will look good in the water and time will tell about that. At this time it is untried.

I use a good many flies having a claret body also like the Thor seen here also.

Adding a little color to the discussion
cb, mcnerney, fredaevans and 2 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-10-2014, 02:23 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Jimmie: I bet Laurie could make it happen, he is always dying with special colors. Here is his web site if you want to contact him to see if he has claret or would be willing to dye some for you guys.

Lawrence finney,finneysflies.com

Larry

Thanks Larry. He has them. In fact lots of claret materials. Need to talk with him about shipping, but he is relatively close to you cb.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks Larry. He has them. In fact lots of claret materials. Need to talk with him about shipping, but he is relatively close to you cb.
Jimmie: Good news! From some of his previous posts, I know he dyes up some pretty awesome looking feathers.

Larry
Hardyreels likes this.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Hi Jimmie,

I'm guessing that you are talking about a Ringneck Pheasant tail........

Since they are brown to start with you can probably get a good claret red by using a blend of common dyes. I dye almost everything I want which is not readily available using rit dye. Although it seems to get no respect from tiers, it works for me.

The recipe below will give a good rendition of claret. This would be for using the new liquid dyes, I still have a bunch of powder dye so blending is a bit tougher for me but I follow the same basic 4 : 1 proportions and get a decent color. I use white vinegar to give a little more panache to the finished colors.

4 Tsp Cherry Red
1 Tsp Black
1 Cup Water

Small batch dying is actually very easy. You just handle the compounds with care as you would when using any liquid that will stain. I do it frequently. The safest place to work is the kitchen sink if it is a stainless steel type, if you have a white enamel sink.................. don't do it.

I use a clear pryex bowl and keep the whole process very contained.
mcnerney and Jimmie like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-10-2014, 03:20 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

here's a few claret sunburst spey flies i did for a swap a while back.

mcnerney, fredaevans and baseman1 like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-10-2014, 04:22 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Claret is certainly not the forgotten color around my bench. Here's a little comparison of shades of claret I did for my blog some time ago (I dyed the partridge and two Whiting necks):

I love it on the spey version of my Celtic Beauty (dyed blue ear pheasant):

Golden Pheasant capes take Claret quite nicely, and make for pretty nice Golden Pheasant Spey flies:

It's an important part of the hairwing Celtic Beauty:

Three flies that all hooked salmon for me in September, 2012:

I could go on, but hopefully my point is made: claret lives!
Gary