The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing

Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing From classic salmon flies to sunray shadows. Anything salmon love to take after a great cast!

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 10:07 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austin Clark's Brown Muddler

With saltwater streamers, a long collar like that protects long tails from conflicting currents. Less fouling that way.

My "new" favorite muddler variation is the Kennebago Muddler
Muddler head in the front... Hornberg wing in the rear
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:57 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

That fly would be a serious contender for low water summer run Steelhead fishing. Fish it dry or fish it wet .....
Old 01-23-2014, 12:35 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Fred, that's exactly how it's used for atlantics, too.
Gary
Old 01-25-2014, 10:26 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
A fellow asked me to tie some of these muddler variations for him...he fished with Austin Clark in Quebec (atlantic salmon)...and Clark gave him one of these to swing, but took it back at the end of the day! My customer said it was a very successful fly, thus he wanted some. I googled around for it, and found it in Tony Lolli's "Go-To Flies." So the fly is no secret that I'm divulging.
The key is the long deer hair; it pulses nicely in the water.

Click the image to open in full size.

Gary
a beautiful pattern!
I see the turkey wing under the deer hair now that you mention it

buzz
thanks for posting

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory