Austin Clark's Brown Muddler

gt05254

Reaction score
A fellow asked me to tie some of these muddler variations for him...he fished with Austin Clark in Quebec (atlantic salmon)...and Clark gave him one of these to swing, but took it back at the end of the day! My customer said it was a very successful fly, thus he wanted some. I googled around for it, and found it in Tony Lolli's "Go-To Flies." So the fly is no secret that I'm divulging.
The key is the long deer hair; it pulses nicely in the water.

Gary

gt05254

Reaction score
Thanks, guys, glad you like the fly!

Buzz, yes, the hair wing is gray squirrel, and there are two very small slips of turkey (way smaller than a regular muddler's) as side wings.

Madjoni, yes, I bought the book just to get this fly. And the gentleman that was buying the flies from me graciously paid for it so I could tie the fly for him! There are 101 "guide" flies in it.

Gary

L

Liphookedau

Hi Gary as always another nice Looking Fly.

The Muddler is a Good Fly which also catches heaps of Fish over here.
I like a Black Muddler as well with Black Marabou Underwing Tied in #8 especially if it's a little windy & there are smallish waves.
Brian.

gt05254

Reaction score
no, it's not really. Just that the turkey wings are tiny, the squirrel wing takes over lead position, and that first batch of deer hair goes all the way to the rear. For atlantic salmon, I'd try it in low, slow water where I had to strip the fly to get some movement, versus just letting a fly swing in more normal flows.

Gary

C

changler

I'd never thought of leaving the collar long like that, but I dig it. I'll have to tie up a few for smallmouth this spring.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
With saltwater streamers, a long collar like that protects long tails from conflicting currents. Less fouling that way.

My "new" favorite muddler variation is the Kennebago Muddler
Muddler head in the front... Hornberg wing in the rear

monkeyboy

Reaction score
A fellow asked me to tie some of these muddler variations for him...he fished with Austin Clark in Quebec (atlantic salmon)...and Clark gave him one of these to swing, but took it back at the end of the day! My customer said it was a very successful fly, thus he wanted some. I googled around for it, and found it in Tony Lolli's "Go-To Flies." So the fly is no secret that I'm divulging.
The key is the long deer hair; it pulses nicely in the water.

Gary
a beautiful pattern!
I see the turkey wing under the deer hair now that you mention it

buzz
thanks for posting