The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing

Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing From classic salmon flies to sunray shadows. Anything salmon love to take after a great cast!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Tube Flies;

If you are thinking you need a tube vise, take a look at the one in the auction like I'll post at the end of this reply. It is not mine, I already have one like that I bought in 1994, but I'm tempted to buy it anyway.

It is a Thompson 360* A vise 360 means full rotary, I use mine with a pro Tube mandrel and because the adapter is perfectly strait these old vises are perfect tube tying tools. Because the original manual comes with you don't need me to explain how to set the rotary feature so it's just right It appears in new condition and will take any of the bobbin cradles (like the ones that fit a Renzetti Traveler.

If I didn't really like mine I wouldn't tell anyone to look at one, so...... here's the link

D H Thompson Pro Fly Tying Vise A 360SLT Vintage w Original Manual Guide USA | eBay

Just bid in the last minute and you should get it for 50 dollars

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Administrator

cb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nice

Superb flies Ard ! Hard to resist by human or salmon

I actually tie all my tube flies on thin bare plastic tubes. And I dont tie any 'body' dressing on these at all.

Instead I tie the body (if I want one - but mostly I use bare metal tubes) on the different weighted tube barrels which I slip over the plastic tube liner.

This way I can quickly change the weight of the fly or colour of the body without changing the pattern or size.

Anyway, just thought you might be interested!

Cheers

Colin

PS. I may change the weight of my tube fly three times as I fish down a pool. Depending on the speed of the current.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Colin,

I have some of the weights but have not used any to date, they seem to make sense and I'll be thinking about doing what you are suggesting here.

A few pictures of your tubes would be good

Ard

Old 02-07-2014, 09:34 AM
Administrator

cb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nice

Hi Ard

Here is quick snap from my box.

You can see: hook - sleeve/metal tube - fly on plastic tube.

Click the image to open in full size.

The bit I swap is the metal tube - but I also often leave it off altogether if I want the fly to swim high in the water.

I have a whole assortment of weights and colours - also cone heads I simply slide on or off. Of course I use different flies too!

In effect the body and head are always separate.

I just like the flexibility.

Cheers

Colin

PS> A bit rough and ready dressing I'm afraid - but I rarely use a vice - as I often tie them on the river bank to exactly the spec I decide for the conditions in front of me. I love doing that - happy in the knowledge that I have confidence in my fly. (i really hate it when i dont think I have the right fly on!)
Old 02-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Now that's some weight, I have what the Pro Tube suppliers call 'drop weights which are similar but are meant to go right on the tube. I haven't used any yet fearing they would make the fly too heavy. I've been making these with cone heads in all sizes thinking that combined with a sinking leader they will be deep enough.

Something I really like about the European flies, most of them are quite simple like what you've shown here. I believe that I'm making this harder than it has to be by tying bodies with tinsels and etc. to the tubes. I'll be having a look at some of the flies the UK. forum guys have posted and have a go at them today I think.

We are having a wind storm here today. Things got started around 5:00 AM and may last throughout the day and into the night. These 'storms' have no snow or rain, just winds. This one, according to my weather radio, is 55 mph sustained wind with gusts to 85 mph. I will have to go out to be sure things are still here soon. I knew this was called for and had battened things down, however winds like this for 12 hours or more can take things away from you if you don't pay attention.

These storms are a regular feature of the Matunuska Susitna Valleys, in the past ten years I've seen them last for 4 days at the worst. It makes me wonder where all that energy comes from, to keep a hard wind for 4 days straight. This is most prevalent in late fall and during winter, I've not seen sustained winds during spring or summer but by November all bets are off.

Because of the weather I'll be doing some tying : Thanks for posting that,

Ard

Old 02-07-2014, 04:41 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

What are the air temps to go along with that Ard? The wind chills must be deathly cold.

The air temp near Butte, Montana was -50* yesterday morning. -50! Think of the difference between a Zero degree day and 50 degree day. One of them your cold, the other you are casting to rising fish in shirt sleeves. Awesome weather this winter, just amazing.

Nice flies btw. I've never looked at this page!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Here's a group from the other day, Most are just color combo's that I know work. There are however a few Green Butt Skunk in the mix

I finished the dozen with Sculpin tubes. Real easy to make and I know they will catch.