The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing

Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing From classic salmon flies to sunray shadows. Anything salmon love to take after a great cast!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Tube Flies;

Here are a few flies I did a quick photo of while cleaning up my tying bench. There is no background but the color rendition is accurate as you see them.

The thing I am liking about this type tie is that there are no hard fast rules. You just use whatever you know about colors that work and sizes that work. Then you bind those items to a tube and glue everything in so they stay together.

If you are new to using this type of feathered lure you'll need to learn how to rig them to your line. Rather than going into that in a post I'll advise that you use your computer and search 'How to rig a tube fly to my line'. You will find videos that explain this a lot better than I could do. I will suggest that you use a rigging with a jam knot that will catch your tube should you break a hook off on a heavy fish. Also, practice your rigging until you have that hook tucked up tight to the rear of the tubes and not trailing too far behind the lure. A hook that trails too far back may catch fish way too deep and cause damage that will kill the fish. If you are C&R fishing this should be a primary concern.

Most are just colors that have produced on standard hooks and so are transferred to tubes.
Click the image to open in full size.

This one is based on Freight Train colors, this is a good fly for trout or salmon.

The AK. Assassin transferred to tube;

I have tied a bunch of these, especially the AK. Assassin. I think I have 2 dozen of the assassin flies on standard hook, tube and Intruder ties. They are my best king salmon fly and will take silvers as well.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-31-2014, 06:44 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tube Flies;

Ard, they all look great!

I've obtained some supplies for tying tubes, but it's another of my to do list items I've yet to get to doing!

The first five you've posted, I would toss at river Smallmouths too! No salmon here so SM bass would have to do!

The colors could suggest a lot of things they would eat!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jim,

I use a lot of food colored materials for the trout / steelhead ties and the flashy stuff for salmon. Not that salmon don't hit olive or visa-versa with the trout but generally that's the plan. The first one is hoping to be mistaken for a small rainbow trout by large rainbow trout I am going to figure out how to incorporate some zebra marabou into that concept and then call it good enough.

I've also been making new mini heads for use in my leaders using T-14 & T - 20 as the weight. I'll get to test those tomorrow I hope.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:21 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Beautiful flies. I ordered a smallish starter tube kit a few weeks ago. I watched a vid or two and never saw how the hook was incorporated and set them aside. I haven't watched a rigging vid yet but I had a minor epiphany when I saw your flies on this thread. Couldn't be too difficult to rig.

Last edited by ia_trouter; 01-31-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:43 PM
Administrator

In short;

* Tie a basic over hand knot in the leader about 4" from the tip
* Run the tip up through a hook eye and then take the tip around and under the hook shank
* Take the tip down through the hook eye and pull the loop you made around the shank tight to the eye
* Now slide the square knot you have on the line back really close to the eye and take the tip through the circle of the knot
* Wrap the tip around the line 3-5 times depending on line size and take the tip back through the loop / circle of the knot.
* Chinch it tight. If you get it right you will have a jam knot about 1/2" ahead of the loop that attaches the hook.

The jam knot should slide inside the tube and lodge there, this stops the tube from sliding back any closer toward the hook. The tube will slide up the leader line but will stop on the jam knot going backwards.
ia_trouter likes this.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:51 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Ard, those are some great looking tubes! Watching your progression with these certainly has been fun! Your flies look wonderful, I hope you've made multiples of these. That 4th/5th fly in particular surely will get you some grabs.

As for rigging them, I typically just use a non slip knot and tuck lodge the knot up inside the tube.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:44 PM
Administrator

Thanks Jason,

I don't make them as neat as yours but if I really try to balance the materials out I can get close. Would love to see you post some here. The Spey forums need participation

Old 02-01-2014, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful flies Ardthe purple ones are as beautiful as dancers of the Moulin Rouge
Old 02-01-2014, 09:35 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Beautiful flies. I ordered a smallish starter tube kit a few weeks ago. I watched a vid or two and never saw how the hook was incorporated and set them aside. I haven't watched a rigging vid yet but I had a minor epiphany when I saw your flies on this thread. Couldn't be too difficult to rig.
Hey...likely you have researched a bit on this...but if you haven't. Canadian Tube Fly Company (google that)....has tons of resources INCLUDING all matter of videos ranging from tying specific tube patterns to rigging. I have researched tons (its my OCD...HAH) and their site is perhaps the most comprehensive site on most things 'tube fly'.

Ironic though, though named Canadian Tube Fly....and they are based in Calgary or something....they have more distributors in the states than here in Canada. Free trade at its best, it would seem. That or you americans just can't figure out how to tie your own flies...HAH. (kidding) .

King Joe Outa Here!
ia_trouter likes this.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:36 AM

noutdoorsmen94 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the post Ard. I defiantly wanna try this now. those look amazing and I think tying some steelhead tubes would look pretty cool.
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
-Norman Maclean "A River Runs Through It"

Nate