The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing

Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing From classic salmon flies to sunray shadows. Anything salmon love to take after a great cast!

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 05:00 AM
Administrator

cb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nice
Default Re: Sunray Shadow;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Colin,

I was about to order some Icelandic Sheep hair , will that be soft enough or is there a particular seller for the Goat hair you mentioned?

When the hair is that long, how far back do you trail the hook?
Hi Ard,

I'm not familiar with icelandic sheep hair (is it not wavy?) - but I really suggest you use goat. The quality of the goat is critical. Most goat is too brittle or thick or too long- even from the same supplier that supplies really good goat hair. So mail order is very hit and miss I'm afraid. When I shop for goat hair - I open every packet and feel it! (I know I need to get out more!).

If you find a great supplier - let me know!

BTW I personally very rarely use goat hair flies longer than 4 in - so finding short soft goat hair is important too. YOU DO NOT want the long lank rubbish that is sold by most people! That is perhaps ok for 'Collie Dogs' but these are very different from the sunray type as tied by the Norwegian experts anyway.

The reason I say this is that the root of the hair is good for bulking up the head end to give the fly the needed teardrop shape which makes them swim so well. I never want them to be Eal like - I want them to more substantial than that.

Difficult to explain sorry!

Colin
Old 02-12-2014, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Sunray Shadow;

OK,

I'm thinking I've got what you are saying, I take it that my head is of the Eal type? The arctic fox hair I have is about 3.5" in length and I have quite a supply and have already dyed a couple good hanks to an acceptable black. I'm going to make up some olive green today and keep on the Sunray regime

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;