The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing

Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing From classic salmon flies to sunray shadows. Anything salmon love to take after a great cast!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By jabrowning24
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 09:26 PM

jabrowning24 will become famous soon enoughjabrowning24 will become famous soon enough
Default GBSpey

I tied this guy a while back and already had it up on photobucket so i thought i would post it up in hopes of generating some movement on this section of the forum, I really enjoy looking at others work so SHOW ME SOME FLIES!! I hope you all enjoy mine as well.

Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels, fyshstykr and mcnerney like this.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: GBSpey

Nice tying Josh, what do you have that hackled with?

I tied a bunch of this style and have the pictures still. Most of the flies have survived and many have caught their fish too.

Click the image to open in full size.

I don't think that has a name but was tied following the general Carron style I think.
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-14-2014, 05:14 PM

jabrowning24 will become famous soon enoughjabrowning24 will become famous soon enough

Ard, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that thing will never work, you only have 4 turns of tinsel!! haha I really like that one, very buggy/foody looking fly! I used burnt goose on mine, is yours BEP? I was looking at a couple BEP skins a buddy has today, I really need to get one of those!! thanks for sharing
Old 02-14-2014, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Are these skins here in Alaska? Maybe we could split one......... I don't use much of it because I don't tie a whole bunch of Spey's but I do use it on the Jock O' Dee and would be interested in resupplying. Actually if you're getting the goose to look like that I think paying for a BEP skin would be money which could be used elsewhere. That looks like heron.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:58 PM

these were his personal stock, but splitting one is certainly something I would like to look at sometime soon. I agree as far as the goose, it looks really nice but is a pain to tie with, next time I get around to burning some I will do some extras for you
Old 02-14-2014, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Are you soaking the goose quills prior to wrapping them as hackle?

Another trick is to soak them overnight before dying them. After they have soaked strip one side (you know which one) do it all in a single motion. This will not only remove all the fibers from the side you would strip anyway but when done right it should tear the quill stem about in half, neatly.

If you do this prior to dying the bare quill stem where you tore the fibers & quill away will take the dye. This ends the problem of having that nasty white quill stripe to deal with.

One other thing; I posted a picture of that fly before I ever tested it

Old 02-15-2014, 04:49 PM

I always forget to strip them first until see that stupid white quill poke through! And yes I soak them, ive found that if I put them in warm water with hair conditioner for a few they almost turn rubbery and even the thickest screw ups will still wrap well.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:36 PM
Administrator

It's up to you and I to build interest in this small sub forum Josh. Post those beautiful flies of yours and I'll move some oldies but goodies into the threads here as well as new creations. If you know any S. Pager's who are ready to defect bring them in also. I really want to get this section busier.
jabrowning24 likes this.