Akroyd Inspired Tying;

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I started seeing the Akroyd flies everywhere on fly tying forums about 5 -6 years ago. I just had to make some but at the time didn't know I was supposed to make them Dee winged...............

Just so no one would think I tied a fly and did not go find out if it worked..... That's one of my up wing Akroyd's in a Sockeye, not real easy to get any fly into a sockeye so I was real happy with this fish. I killed it prior to that photo.

jabrowning24

Reaction score
Why is there no praise on this thing? Awesome fly Ard! I will be tying some of these real soon! Thanks for sharing

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Why is there no praise on this thing? Awesome fly Ard! I will be tying some of these real soon! Thanks for sharing
Yawn, Manning throws 4 TD passes, Verlander strikes out 10, Stetts ties another perfect salmon fly. Some things are just expected around here.

Or he must have caught us sleeping and it just slipped off the front page. Giving it a belated "like" right now. :)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Josh,

If you're making a couple think on changing that wing to brown turkey tied on Dee style. If you do that the finished product will be very much like the Jock O' Dee and that simple change to a brown Dee wing seems to be all that is needed to turn this from a pretty fly to a pretty good fishing fly.

I just happen to have a picture of the brown wing fly that proves each season to be worth the time taken to make them :)

For those not familiar with a Dee wing this is the view from above.

Those wings always have the fly riding correctly and it looks like a small fish when swinging in the current.

Last edited: