The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing

Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing From classic salmon flies to sunray shadows. Anything salmon love to take after a great cast!

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2016, 09:56 PM

unknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant future
Default Re: What Have You Been Tying Lately? Spey/Switch Edition

Going to get my dry line on this weekend. Caddis has been so good to me this fall, going to keep rolling with it.

Thompson river caddis

Click the image to open in full size.
Ard Stetts, dean_mt and argail like this.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:45 AM

dillon is a name known to alldillon is a name known to alldillon is a name known to alldillon is a name known to alldillon is a name known to alldillon is a name known to all

I've been redoing my intruder box for winter steelhead. I attended a flytying expo last week and pick up a few tips. Spun arctic fox tail on the front and rear stations adds bulk w/o weight. This fly has the colors of Bill McMillans classic "Winters Hope."

Old 11-22-2016, 12:26 AM
Administrator

Ard Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Stetts Send a message via Skype™ to Ard Stetts

I actually did tie flies but it's been almost 2 weeks ago now. I made up some Intruders which went straight into the box and a bunch of new tubes. All together I made up a full dozen but only snapped a picture of the teachers pet pattern

There were already 5 in the box so 2 seemed enough. Those have double weights on them, a flex weight on the tube and a reversed black cone up under the toppings. I found out that the little Pro Tube cone under the toppings hold them up while in use and the action is good. The one with the plastic cone did catch a fish last week so they are up again this week.

Water temp is 34.5 now and depth is about 5 feet. Deep slow presentation is a must, combine the weighted fly with 4 foot of T-20 and I can feel the rocks.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-05-2017, 11:53 PM

unknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant future

Winter's dream

Ard Stetts and argail like this.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:15 AM

Tying up sculpins on shanks.

This is an articulated single hook sculpin I call roadkill rabbit.

Experimenting with ESL patterns and design, this one is a knock off of Daves eat a peach leech with different materials. Bunny fur, black UV simi seal and orange simi seal with a orange weight on the front. i am going to try eyes and wrapped .30 lead free weight on a hook.

Ard Stetts and ia_trouter like this.

Last edited by unknownflyman; 04-18-2017 at 01:33 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:19 AM
Administrator

Ard Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Stetts Send a message via Skype™ to Ard Stetts

More tube versions of the AK. Assassin for kings.

All are weighted, some with flex weights others with cones or drop weights tucked under the fur. I stock 2 big Plano boxes with flies but the color combo here is the one I go with every morning. I've got roughly 3 weeks before I'll start prowling the rivers looking for the tip of the run.

I also made up another batch of these;

Today it was 2 dozen of the black in 25 pound for safely connecting leaders to sink tips.
ia_trouter and unknownflyman like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;